15TH GEAR - FREE TRIALS FOR A PAIR OF SHOES

Have you ever had the urge to punch somebody on his full teeth? I know that you have. That's what I'm feeling against the shopkeeper of the Speed Spell Shop, who is a scrawny man in his early adulthood. He has this blue cap on top of his long unshaven face, and his eyes look dead as a zombie's.

I've been discriminated against and kicked out from facilities before, but this guy had the nerve to shout at me.

"What did you just say?" I rolled my sleeves and marched towards the counter.

"I said leave, magicless! If you're going to window shop, don't waste my time! There's nothing here that will be of use to you!" The shop owner said.

"How dare you-"

"Ahem!"

President Ericka cleared her throat which caught all the attention of the shopkeeper. All of a sudden, his eyes became heart-shaped as if he just saw the goddess of love. The rude shopkeeper immediately turned out to be the most gentlemanly out of all gentlemen.

"Oh, Miss Ericka! Good day to you! How may I be of service?" He bowed down like a private butler.

"I am here to buy some equipment for our new Speedmage. Meet Fluonessia, the newest member of our club." Ericka said.

Unfortunately, Fluonessia was too distracted on the underground oval that she was left behind in the corridors. But the moment she heard her name, she gasped with an "Ah!" sound and immediately rushed to enter the shop. Then she made a polite bow to the shopkeeper.

"N-Nice to meet you, shopkeep!"

"Oh! Another cute girl!" The shopkeeper shouted his inner thoughts. "You are most welcome, miss! What would you like to buy?"

"For starters, we need to pick good Speedmage Shoes for her," Ericka said. "What are your available models?"

"It depends on what type of Speedmage playstyle she wants." The shopkeeper said. "We have here the newest model of Stego for Striker Class. We also have new stocks from Beowulf that will fit the Speedster Class. Finally, our best seller for Counter Class is Wendigo which is quite popular for newbies. All of them are entry-level so newbies will not have a hard time using them!"

"Woooooah! These shoes are awesome!" Fluonessia had her eyes wide open as she appreciated every shoe on display.

"It may be better to ask your coach what type of shoes would he recommend. He seems to know a lot more than we thought." Ericka said.

"So you're a Speedmage shoe nerd, Jonathan?" Fluonessia excitedly pumped her fists.

"Y-You can put it like that, yeah." I cringed.

"Oh! Before I pick, I want to ask a question first. How do Speedmage Shoes affect a Speedmage's performance?" Fluonessia energetically raised her hand.

"Well, Speedmage Shoes are the best catalyst for speed spells. You can compare it to a magic wand that sorcerers use, or a magic sword that a spell knight wields in battle. Speedmage Shoes absorb mana better than your normal shoes." I answered.

"Ooooh. Does that explain why there are three types of Speedster Shoes?" Fluonessia asked with curiosity written on her face.

"Yes. Speedster Shoes are most compatible with spells that enhance overall speed, while Striker Shoes are most compatible with spells that enhance control. On the other hand, Counter Shoes are best for all-around spells."

"So what do you think is the best role for me?" Fluonessia pressed her rosy face toward me.

I have seen Fluonessia do a lot of speed spells already, including those atrocious incidents she made me suffer for the past two weeks. Her mana capacity is good, and she is a beginner, so a pair of Counter Shoes would be best for her. Besides, Counter Speedmages has the lowest entry standards, but it boasts the highest skill ceiling of all Speedmage playstyles.