102ND GEAR - THE ULTIMATE GRAND FINALS

Right after the Semifinal Match has concluded, Flu and I decided to go to the waiting room and talk to Captain Tezza and Captain Liri. When we arrived, Captain Liri was just sitting on the bench, motionless. She did not move even when she noticed that Flu and I entered the room.

Captain Tezza was the one to talk to us. Her voice seemed shaky and devoid of any confidence. "I'm sorry, Miss Asahime, Coach Wardenorth. That was all we can do. It was a disgraceful match."

"That's not true, Captain Tezza!" Flu pumped her fists. "It was a great Speed Battle! You and Captain Liri fought well!"

"You think so? Even with that humiliating defeat, you think we fought valiantly?" Captain Tezza's face slightly brightened.

"Yes!" Flu energetically nodded. "As long as you did your best, it is a good game!"

"I wish I have the same enthusiasm as you, Fluonessia Asahime." Captain Tezza bowed. "You know how the audiences booed our Speed Battle."

"It was not you, Captain. It's Lilith and Gaylord. The people hate their playstyle more than anything in this Speedmage Tournament." I said.

All of a sudden, Captain Liri stood up with her towel still on top of her head. She looked at us with her dejected swollen eyes with a hint that she had already cried for her defeat.

"But still, we lost. I wanted to put up at least a better fight, but that is all we can do." Liri said.

"It's now up to you, Coach Jonathan Wardenorth." Tezza tapped my shoulder, in the same manner she tapped it this morning. Then she turned to Flu and tapped her shoulder too. "And you too, Fluonessia Asahime. Avenge us."

These two Speedmages are still depressed over their defeat, and that is normal. But at least they still have these flames of hope in their eyes. These flames are like torches to pass unto us, and we shall have it lit until the final battle.

"You can count on us." I clenched my fist and made a pump.

"Ara ara, that's the spirit."

My spine went cold as I heard a familiar threatening voice. When I looked back, I saw the witch Lilith Nightshade and her navigator-slash-coach Gaylord Draculus. All of us Saint Crusade Academy students present in this room showed our angry faces upon the entrance of this evil duo.

"Lilith Nightshade!" Flu muttered.

"Congratulations on making it to the Grand Finals, Fluonessia Asahime." Lilith smiled menacingly. The glint on her gold-and-crimson eyes inflicted fear on our very existence.

However, Flu was not affected. She shifted to a smile and a determined gaze and answered her ultimate rival's greetings.

"Congratulations to you too, Miss Lilith Nightshade. I hope we both have fun for the Finals tomorrow."

"Fun? Fun, you say? Kekekekeke!" Lilith Nightshade laughed like a villainous witch. "There is no such thing as fun in the Triangle. It's either you win or lose. If your description of fun is winning, then I shall take away that fun for you."

"No, you're wrong, Lilith," Flu argued with a confident smile on her face. "Losing can be fun too. I will do my one million percent best to defeat you, and I will show you what is this fun I'm talking about!"

"Hahahaha!" Gaylord laughs in the background. "Do you think losing a Speed Battle is fun? Look at the losers behind you! Look!"

I briefly glanced at Captain Tezza and Captain Liri. They all have this unerasable frown on their faces. They are both looking at the floor, seemingly trying to avert our gazes.