57TH GEAR - FALLEN PHOENIX

"This is not over!"

Flu cried as she stood up with great struggle. Her knees are shaking, which is an indication that her legs are getting weak. She is drenched with sweat, and she is hardly catching her breath. Her mana pool has now reduced to half as she has already used most of her speed spells just to reach that Checkpoint Tower.

But it is to no avail.

The score stays at 0:1, with Lilith having a lead. She just stood there with a teasing yet scary smile on her face. Her heterochromia eyes looked at Flu with disdain.

"Ara ara, you should save your strength and stay down. This Speed Battle will be over shortly."

"I refuse to give up!" Flu cried out loud. Wind energy gathered on her shoes as she reactivated her speed spell! "Wind Accel!"

Lilith's smile widened like a crescent moon. She seems to be enjoying the mental punishment she is giving to Flu.

There are only two minutes left before the Speed Battle is over. We still have some spells that could work! We will have to do everything just to reach the 2nd Checkpoint Tower! As long as we avoid a foul, we can still make it to a draw!

"Flu, approach her and aim for a Flash Step!" I said.

"Yes, Coach!" Flu said as she surged forward in a straight line, aiming for the Checkpoint Tower. We are planning that 100-meter Flash Step that Locke of the Eaglecrest used in the first round. All we have to do is wait for the opponent to block Flu right in front of her face then use Flash Step!

All of a sudden, Lilith boosted and blocked Flu right in front!

"Now!" I shouted.

"Flash Step!" Flu gathered mana on her feet then made a single kick to the ground, instantaneously closing into the 2nd Checkpoint Tower!

However...

"Shadow Step," Lilith muttered her spell and she teleported backward, right at Flu's face!

Shadow Step is the antithesis of Flash Step. If Flash Step gives an instantaneous dash forward, Shadow Step provides an instantaneous dash backward!

Lilith spread her hand out to launch Flu away from the Checkpoint Tower!

Bzzzzt!

"Kuuuuuuh!"

Flu cried as she once again was put to the ground. Just right before, Flu struggled to stand up, and her knees are more wiggling rather than shaking. The shock of the recoil effect must have done a significant injury to her, both physically and mentally.

One minute left!

"Flu!" I cried.

Sweat ran down from my scalp towards my chin. I feel cold, and there are goosebumps all over my body. My skin hairs are all erect, and I can't stop the clattering of my teeth.

What can we do in this situation!? Think, Jonathan, think! Air Trampoline and Chain Trampoline do not work. Phoenix Arrow does not work. Flash Step does not work. If we use Phoenix Talon, we will certainly get a foul as striking the opponent before reaching the 2nd Checkpoint Tower is prohibited. Whirlwind will be canceled if Flu ever tries to run around.

How can we get away from this deadlock!?

"Coach." Flu's soft voice brought me back to reality.

"Y-Yes Flu?" I asked.

"Lilith is really amazing. She was able to prevent me from scoring for the whole Speed Battle." Flu said with a smile.

"This is not the time for you to appreciate your opponents!" I said.