12TH GEAR - GIVE ME THAT HEADSET!

"Go Fluonessia! Go go go!" Cruzo cheered through his mic with an arm-pumping action.

I know that he's trying to raise Fluonessia's confidence, but those cheers are not enough. A navigator's job is to navigate and not to cheer. Cruzo should have applied for the position of cheerleader instead.

"I will never give up! Yaaaaah!" Fluonessia boosted forward and finally reached the 2nd Checkpoint!

Beep!

The score is now a draw at 1:1!

It's now a tie, but Ericka is still in the lead in terms of distance. She was already halfway towards the 3rd Checkpoint Tower.

All of a sudden, Ericka stopped. She looked back towards the 2nd Checkpoint Tower where Fluonessia is. She stood still and held her hips.

"Touching checkpoints is not my playstyle. I am a Striker, not a Speedster." Ericka said.

That explains why Ericka has an average speed even though she is taking the lead.

In Speedmage Tournaments, there are three roles that specialize in different situations- Speedsters, Strikers, and Counters.

Speedsters are Speedmages who specialize in speed but are low on control. They are built to score points by touching the checkpoints. One great example of this category is Captain Tezza Flaschk of the Cool Escape Club.

Strikers, on the other hand, are Speedmages who specialize in control but lack speed. With their maneuverability, they focus on striking the opponent's backs to score a point. Unfortunately, according to the official rules, a Speedmage is prohibited to strike the opponent's back until he touched at least one Checkpoint Tower. This is to balance the game between Speedsters and Strikers.

Finally, the Counters, who are the most versatile Speedmages of them all. Counters have average speed and control, they rely on their spells and have no definite playstyle. As the name suggests, they score points by either striking or touching checkpoints depending on their situations.

Ericka is a Striker, but since her opponent is a newbie, it is almost imperative that she can still beat Fluonessia in terms of speed. That's how seniors fare with rookies.

"Let's see if you can take this!" Ericka smiled. And then, she spun gracefully like a ballerina and drew a circle with her icy feet. As soon as a full circle was drawn, she channeled her mana to cast a spell! "Freezing Field!"

In an instant, the circle she drew with her foot expanded to about three hundred meters in diameter! The dusty deserted ground was immediately converted into clear ice!

"W-Woah! Aaaah!" Fluonessia cried the moment she stepped on the icy ground. Because it was too slippery, she lost control and fell to the ground, face first! "Gah!"

"Oh shit! Fluonessia, are you okay?" Cruzo asked through the mic.

"I-I'm fine!" Fluonessia struggled to get up, but she slipped again! "Kyah!"

"I will now attack!"

Ericka loudly proclaimed as she skated towards the poor newbie Speedmage! She circled Fluonessia and then stroked her back with her hand!

"This will be the first strike!" Ericka said.

With a swift swipe, a blue magical circle appeared on Fluonessia's back, indicating a point!

Beep!

Ericka leads again with a score of 2:1!

"Waaaah!" Fluonessia slides through the ice because of the repelling effect of the magical barrier.