100TH GEAR - SPEEDMAGE CHAMPION OF THE SOUTHERN ABYSS

100TH GEAR – SPEEDMAGE CHAMPION OF THE SOUTHERN ABYSS

This is the Third Round of the National Speedmage Tournament. And also, this will be the Semifinals.

I am quite surprised that Flu is blitzing Speedmage Champions left and right. Sure, Flu was already a Speedmage Champion level the moment she defeated Professor Comette Azure. She even defeated Vincent the Teleporter who was the National Speedmage Champion for two years. I was confident that Flu would win in the first and second rounds, but I never thought it would just be a breeze.

I hope the Speed Battle for this Third Round is the same.

The opponent is Norn Vortigein, a small girl with black hair tied in twin ponytails. She has crimson red eyes and fair white skin. Her Speedmage Suit looks like a combination of a gothic princess and a maid, with thigh-high leggings.

Norn Vortigein is the Speedmage Champion of the Southern Region, where the gigantic chasm is located. I heard that Vortigein Family owns the gigantic mine in that place, so our enemy is a big shot.

Her Speedmage Shoes are the Nidhogg Abyssal Ver. 2, which is a pair of dark leather boots with silver spikes. Nidhogg series are best known for their versatility in speed and control while keeping the mana cost of each spell cheap. This kind of Speedmage Shoes is well-suited for Counters.

Both Speedmages took position on the 1st Checkpoint Tower. While waiting for the referee, Flu greeted the opponent.

"Let's have a good and fun match, Miss Norn Vortigein!" Flu pumped her fists with a smile.

"Hmph!" Norn sassily turned away from the pink-haired Speedmage. "Have fun losing in this match!"

"Y-Yeah... Good luck... Tahahaha..." Flu gave a dry laugh.

Well, that girl is unfriendly.

I looked at my side to take a peek at the opponent Navigator. Norn Vortigein's navigator is a tall man in a full formal tuxedo. He is wearing round eyeglasses and he's just standing stiff. I would greet him to have a good match, but he did not respond even if I stare at him. So, I won't bother.

I pressed the mic closer to my mouth and talked to my Speedmage.

"Flu, the opponent is a Counter Speedmage. Try to beat her in a race and see what she has at her disposal. Avoid using big moves until we learn about her tricks."

"Roger that, Coach!" Flu saluted.

The referee went forward and readied the whistle. He raised his hand and talked out loud to the Speedmages.

"Semifinals Round for the National Speedmage Tournament! Speedmages ready!"

Flu and Norn made the same ready stance: their knees bent, and their arms spread out wide while touching the ground. Judging from this position, it is most likely that the opponent Speedmage is also adept in elemental fusion speed spells. I have to watch out.

"On your marks... Get set... Go!"

Fweeeeeet!

"Stardust Accel!" Flu takes the split-second lead as she enchanted her shoes with magical glittery pink contrail streaks!

"Obsidian Accel!" Norn boosted forward, leaving dark sparkling dust on her trail!

Obsidian is quite a peculiar fusion element. Ericka taught me that to create obsidian magic, a spellcaster must be able to combine earth and shadow magic. I forgot to ask what obsidian magic can do, and honestly, I do not care about that time. It's not like a magicless person like me would find that information useful anyway. And now I kind of regret not asking.