Chapter 115 - Finally Meeting

Shouta's POV

Over the past couple of days, we have been keeping an eye on Izuku, if you can call it that. We've genuinely only seen the kid a handful of times, and he is gone as fast as he is there.

I don't think we accomplished anything by being here. Every time I saw him, he was happy. I can tell by his eyes. The last time I have seen that kid truly happy...I don't remember. It's been so long. It has to be almost a year at this point since his class is almost about to enter their second year.

With that said, we have decided to leave him alone. If something comes up, we'll be right by his side. Otherwise, Izuku is fine here. Far from perfect, but he's surviving and happy and that's all I can ask. We can't do anything at the moment otherwise.

I hate it, but it's for Izuku's sake. He was already aware of us the first day anyway, so he could have made sure we didn't see him for all we know.

"Nem, you still have makeup in here, " Hizashi calls from the bathroom.

Nemuri huffs, "I'm getting there, give me a moment, damn-"

That's when they were interrupted by knocking on the door. We each look up with a confused look to one another.

"Sho, go answer it. You aren't doing anything," Nemuri states as she returns to her work. I am not surprised.

I roll my eyes as I approach the door. I look through the glass first, and my breathing stops.

Outside the door is Izuku.

"It's Izuku," I warn them before I open the door. While I would wait on them to recover from the news, Izuku is impatient. It wouldn't look good on us.

I open the door to reveal Izuku. This is the first time I've seen him this close in two months. From a distance... he is perfectly fine to a normal person. I can tell that something was off, but, if I think about it logically, I can push that onto it being someone that isn't Izuku. However, up close, that's not the case. Unless you're close to him, you don't recognize how bad he looks. With Izuku, it has always been minor details: eyebags, slightly messier hair, wrinkles in his clothes.

Izuku isn't okay. At least not physically. However, I know that he is happy here too. He's practically a living example of someone who can be happy despite his living conditions.

He just had to be willing to change them, willingly or not.

Izuku doesn't say anything at first. He just looks at me like he is trying to figure out what to say.

Then, a soft laugh escapes Izuku, "I'm sorry, I thought I could ride and die this, and I did not think about what I would say. Can you, like, close the door and we start over?"

I give him an unamused look. This is the first time talking to him directly in two months, he doesn't even recognize me, and he pulls this shit. I shouldn't be surprised since this is Izuku. I won't lie that there's a certain comfort seeing him like that. Some of him is still there.

I just wish Izuku was fully there. He seems so close, yet he is so far. It's a surreal experience.

Izuku huffs through his mask, "Alright, fine. I'm Mikumo, the runner of this place. Can I talk to y'all? I know this is super random, but it means something to me." I have no idea where this could go.

"Yeah. Do you prefer to come inside or go elsewhere?" I ask.

"Inside is fine," Without giving me a chance, Izuku slips past me and enters. Damn brat, "Close the door." I follow his instructions.

At some point, Hizashi and Nemuri had come out into the hallway, which doesn't fit us but we'll make it work. Nemuri is looking between Izuku and I with confusion while all of Hizashi's attention is on Izuku. I can tell he is holding back from hugging the kid.