Nathan Triska // Best Friends

"Stop, Nathan!" I shout through my laughter.

"Not until you say I'm the bestest friend ever."

"You-You're the bestest friend ever!" I manage to scream. His hands let go of my sides. I can finally breathe! "Why do you always tickle me?" I whine.

"Because you're fun to tickle." He states directly. I roll my eyes, "Young lady! Don't roll your eyes at me!"

"Okay, mom," I reply sarcastically.

"Sassy."

I laugh. Nathan's phone goes off. Classic. His phone is his life. Not that I'm complaining, he's still the Nathan I've known since day one. The fun, outgoing, amazingly nice boy. My best friend. I've known him since we were in diapers. Our mothers were college friends on the same path toward interior design. They bonded over their mutual love for the color blue and exploring the world. They kept in touch after college. One day, my mom got an email from Nathan's mom saying she was moving to Seattle. After they moved, they both found they were pregnant and me and Nathan were introduced into this world. We moved to Arkansas together, and have become great friends, although I don't think our parents would have tolerated us not being good friends.

"Hey, Y/N, we should go live."

"Yay okay."

"I swear we have to get you an account. I don't think I can stand sharing an more broadcasts with someone so boring!"

"Hey! Take that back!" I shout, offended.
"Oops. Sorry that slipped out," He laughs. I proceed to punch him in the shoulder.

I watch as he logs onto YouNow. I know his password and don't bother to look away. He scrolls through some comments his supporters have posted within the past few hours. Me being me, I get bored and head to his closet to find a bandana that matches my outfit.

"What are you doing?"

"Finding a bandana that matches my outfit. Why?"

"At least ask if you're going to go through my closet!"

"Naw, I'm fine. Thanks for offering though," I sass back. I laugh as he rolls his eyes and turns back to his computer, clicking a few keys. I find a white bandana that matches with my white muscle tee and start putting it on, catching a whiff of Nathan's scent. I inhale deeply, trying to recover the scent. I bet everyone is wondering, do you like him? Yes, I like Nathan. I mean what's not to like. He's funny and cute. The only problem is me and thousands of other girls like him. Besides, I am Nathan's best friend. I don't want to ruin that with a relationship.

"Okay, you ready?"

I pull up a chair next to his. Since the camera can only show a certain amount of space, me and Nathan are squished, shoulder to shoulder.

"What should we do on broadcast? Wait, did you know that it can take like up to three minutes to send the notification out?"

"Okay, Mr. I-know-everything-about-YouNow."

"That's not my name."

"Look we have 2k people watching."

"What! Already?" Nathan asks, looking at the screen, "Oh you tricked me. I hate you." The next thing I know his hands are by my sides, making me fall to the ground.

"Nathan! That's not nice!"

"That's what you get for tricking me," Nathan says wickedly. The screen has come to life, flooding in comments about Nathan going to Playlist and how everyone loves him, "Guys, Y/N is being rude."

"Am not!" I say, shoving him. He almost falls over but catches himself and starts tickling me. I push him off of me again.

Bruhitskaitlyn: You guys are so cute
Hiplikemaya: Just date already
Duhitzashley: They obviously like each other.

More comments flood in about our relationship. I notice Nathan's face slowly get red. Strange. He like never blushes.

"Y/N and I aren't dating! I swear!"

Bruhitskaitlyn: Nathan likes her
Duhitzashley: He got so defensive. He's hiding something.

"Ugh. Let's not broadcast anymore," Nathan reaches for the mouse, ready to end the broadcast. He's acting so strange I have to ask.

"Wait, why are you acting so weird?"

"I-I'm not acting weird!"

"Nathan, I've known you all my life. I know when you're hiding something," I say putting my hand on his wrist.

"I'm not hiding anything," He says defensively, pulling his arm away from me, "Doesn't your mom miss you? Spend some time with her!"

"Fine. I'll just leave!" I near-shout as I rush out of his room. I run out into the crisp, cool air, taking deep breaths. He's being really weird. I know that he's hiding something. I thought he could trust me, but I guess not. Boys, am I right? I angrily swing my house door open. Since my parents work late, the house is empty. I stomp up the stairs and pull out my laptop. My Twitter is flooding with notifications about how sorry Nathan is. I roll my eyes and close my laptop.

-A week later-

Nathan hasn't spoken to me since the incident on YouNow. A few of my friends told me he'd come around, but I've seen him flirting with a few girls in the halls. He won't miss another girl crushing on him, would he? I unlock my front door and head to the kitchen. I find an empty glass and fill it with Gatorade. Then, I start on my homework. I'm working my way through my math homework when the doorbell rings. Strange. None of my friends live in the area so I never have visitors. Unless it's-okay stop Y/N, why would he be here? I head to the front door and open it. Nathan is standing there with a plate of cookies.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry I totally overreacted. It's just I know we've been friends for forever but I think over the years I've slowly fallen for you. You make me happy, even when my day was the worse day ever. You always know how I feel. I-I guess what I'm trying to say is I like you."

There they were. The glorious words I wanted to so badly tell him. The ones that could change our friendship for the better or the worse.

"I like you too."

He smiles, not one like I've ever seen before. A lovestruck one. Slowly, we lean into each other. As our lips touch, our lives change. Forever.

» Melody