Mario Selman // Yes

requested by @boyitzdylan

"Mario, can we postpone the movies? I have the huge science project due tomorrow," Sighing into the phone, I load my backpack with any supplies I might need.

"No problem, what's the project?" Mario's voice echoes into my ear.

"I had dissection in class so we have to write up our report and make a board. I'm partnered with Matt."

"Matt...isn't he the dude who dates like ten girls at a time?"

"Yes," I reply cautiously. I love Mario to death, but sometimes, he can be a bit over protective.

"DYLAN!"

Did I say a bit?

"I DON'T WANT YOU HANGING OUT WITH THAT GUY ALONE. HE'S BAD NEWS," I cringe at his shouts.

"Mario, my mom will be home. She'll watch us," I'm used to his over protective nature, but I have to admit that it's super annoying.

"Okay, good," Mario exhales, "I don't like you hanging out will all these guys."

"One, we're just friends. Two, it's an assignment."

"I don't want them to hurt you, okay?"

"I don't want to argue over the phone. I have to go."

"Okay, love you."

"Love you, bye, Mario," I hang up the phone, nearly dropping it on the ground. Something has to be done about his behavior.

"Dylan," I cringe as Matt slides and leans against the lockers, obviously trying to look cool.

"Matt."

"Ready for our project?" He runs his hand through his hair.

"Yes. Let's go."

I start off down the hall, exhaling. I'm tired of everyone and their business.

"It's someone's time of the month," He mumbles, following me.

"Shut it," I stop and turn around, "Why do guys joke about that stuff? It's really not funny."

"Um-"

"Whatever, let's go."

"What did you do with Matt?" I stare at Mario's raging face. He shoves his phone on my face.

"Nothing. Why would you say that?"

My eyes adjust to his screen. It's a selfie Matt and I took with the dog filter. He's only took that photo before leaving.

"Mario, it's a picture," My voice is soft.

"I don't want to lose you, Dylan. Explain," He spits in my face. I'm almost in tears.

"You know what! I'm done with all your over protectiveness. It's making me have to watch what I do, and no boy is going to make me do that. I'm sorry, but we're done," His face falls. I don't laugh, nor do I cry. I just walk away. I'm a woman who should be treated right. I love that he cares, but I'm done.

"WHAT THE HELL, DYLAN?" Those are the last words I hear before his voice fades and I've turned the corner.

It's been two weeks. Two weeks since Mario and I parted. Two weeks of nothing.

Today is a dance at my school. I don't want to go, but a few friends are begging me to come. I'm not letting them down.

I get there and music is pumping through the speakers. Suddenly, it changes to a slow song. I came late.

same bed but it feels just a little bit bigger now

It's our song.

Our song on the radio but it don't sound the same

Mario and I went down to the beach once, and I was playing my playlist. This was the slowest song I had. We danced as the sun set. Then, he kissed me. I think that's the day I fell. I always kept it on my playlist to remind myself about him. Then, it was on the radio and we were in the back seat of my friend's car when he kissed me again and asked me out under the stars. It was always our song, and I think he knew that.

When our friends talk about you, all it does is just tear me down

'Cause my heart breaks a little when I hear your name

I need to leave. It's too much, the memories, the everything.

It all just sounds like oooooh...

I start out the gym. The bathrooms are down the hall, so I head that way. I'm almost running now.

Mmm, too young, too dumb to realize

And I'm falling. I guess I bumped into someone?

That I should've bought you flowers
And held your hand

Someone catches me, my head inches from the ground.

Should've gave you all my hours
When I had the chance

I stare into the same eyes I've loved for a year.

Take you to every party
'Cause all you wanted to do was dance

He stares at me.

"Wow, Dylan, you look amazing."

The music fades behind me.

"Thanks," His stare makes me uneasy.

"Look, I'm sorry I was so over protective. I love you, and I guess I was afraid of losing you. Everything I did, and I still lost you. I realize my mistake and I won't make it again."

I don't know what to do, so I kiss him. I don't know what makes me do it, but I kiss him.

Everything is electric and as we pull away again something changes.

"Will you be my girlfriend, again? I love you so much."

"Yes."

» Melody