Weston Koury // This Storm

requested by @tumblrxrowland

I wander down the streets of North Carolina, bored. My boyfriend, Weston, has been a bit out it lately, and with school and friends, I've been stressed. Maybe our relationship wasn't meant to work out, but without him, I feel empty. Breathing in the cool fall air clears my head. After hours of endless homework, I need a break from everything.

My feet hit the pavement rhythmically. A few leaves dance away as I wander through the empty sidewalks. Too empty. Too silent. Like this is a storm, and I'm in the eye.

My favorite song loops on repeat quietly in my earphones. I turn up a street. Weston's house. My happiness.

I carefully push open the front door. Normally, a wave of excitement will rush over me. Kalynn will immediately jump at me, suffocating me in hugs, before Weston comes and screams something about Good Luck Charlie into my ear, showering me with kisses.

No one. I breathe, suffocating into myself.

"Weston?" My heart thumps to the music. With a burst of anger, my earphones are thrown to the ground with my phone.

Stairs. I creep up the stairs slowly. Dread. My heart, my mind, my body fills with dread.

Weston's door is open.

The bathroom.

No.

I take a breath before pushing open the door.

Blood. Blade. Weston.

"Weston," I scream in my head. Then out. To no one. To myself.

"Weston!"

"Mady," He mumbles under his breath, "Mady, I love you. Mady, Mady."

Stop the bleeding.

Stop the bleeding.

Stop the bleeding.

Lights.

My head pounds. The beeps. The footsteps. The worried whispers.

Lights.

I wish I hadn't left my earphones at the house.

"Significant loss of blood . . . dehydration . . . very lucky . . . "

My mind drifts in and out of the words falling from the doctor's mouth. Kalynn sleeps peacefully, her head against the wall. Ian sits accross from me, tapping his leg continuously.

Mrs. Koury steps out of the room.

"He wants to see you," Her eyes gently rest on me.

I numbly nod and stand. My feet take me toward the door.

"Mady," Weston whispers, "I'm sorry."

I take his hand.

"Please don't be," I smile.

"I don't know what I was thinking. I was-"

"How long? How long were you," I trial off, "You know."

"Three months."

"Can I ask why?"

"People got in my head. You gained followers. You became popular. How did I know, and trust, that someone like Mario or Nathan or Zach or someone wouldn't come and flatter you?"

I smile, "Without the Good Luck Charlie, Phineas and Ferb, Minecraft, Hitler, jokes?"

"Without that. I cracked."

"I was too, you know. You were drifting further and further away from me. My schoolwork. Our future. I couldn't bear it, and finding you like that. I-I-"

I take a breath. No tears. Enough tears.

"I love you, Mady."

"I love you, Weston."

We sit there, holding hands. I close my eyes. Maybe this is the eye of the storm that will always be there. The eye that will warm and shelter me, even when the world is breaking.

This storm is life. And I almost lost one.

» Melody