Zach Herron // You Love Me?

Zach twirls the dark red rose in his hand as he tries to collect his thoughts: He was about to admit something he had been feeling for weeks.

"Hey, Zach," y/n says while stepping into his room, "Corbyn said I could come in. Hope you don't mind."

He chuckles, "You're always welcome."

She smiles although she is slightly confused about the single flower in his hand, "So, what's up?"

Zach extends the rose to her, "I love you, y/n, but I don't want you to feel pressured to say it back. Just know I love you, and I am fine if you don't say it back until you truly do feel it."

Y/N's heart fluttered at his words; she was happy to know that he was willing to wait for her.

two months later

"Y/N, we should talk," Zach says, his worried eyes making it clear to Y/N that he was starting to realize her change in behavior.

"Um, right now? I'm kind of busy; I don't know if right now will work," she quickly replies before turning around to leave.

He gently grabs her wrist, "Y/N."

She sighs and complies.

"Why have you been so distant lately?"

She mumbles, "I don't think I have been."

"Yes, you have," his voice unintentionally raises as he continues, "Whenever I want to talk, you find an excuse to leave. And when we go on dates, it's like you're trying to avoid me."

Y/N looks to the ground, trying to figure out how she can explain herself.

"Look, y/n, if you want to break up, just tell me. I'd prefer to let you go if that makes you happy."

"Wait, no! That's not what is happening, Zach. I'm seriously sorry that I've been acting weird: I really didn't mean it. I guess I just didn't know how to approach you. I understand if you're upset, you have every right to be. I know you were worried about me, and I love you for that, but—"

"You love me?"

Y/N realizes what she said and figures she should confess, "Yeah, I do."

Zach brings her into a hug, and she instinctively wraps her arms around his torso.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" He asks with a slight pout, but his happiness due to her loving him overcomes his concerns.

She leans on his shoulder, "I didn't know how. I was hoping you would say it, and I could just reply back. But, I guess it had to happen like this."

"Well, I'm glad it happened. And by the way, I love you too, y/n," he kisses the top of her head.

"Can we not fight ever again?" Y/N pleads.

He softly smiles at her, "I can't promise that, but we'll always get through it."

Y/N smiles at his response and cuddles closer to him as he holds her tighter to his body.

» dakota