Mario Selman // More Than Friends

requested by @MariamF2004

Mariam POV

I've known Mario since we were three years old, so I know when he isn't himself.

The past few weeks he's been acting different. Mario's been avoiding me and whenever I want to hang out with him, he comes up with some lame excuse. Today, I'm going to figure out what's really going on.

The last class of the day ends and I head to my locker, which is next to Mario's since we are best friends and requested for them to be this way.

A minute later, Mario came to get what he needed for homework.

"Mario," I say loud enough so he can't pretend to not have heard me.

"Mhm?" He responds without looking at me.

"Wanna come over to my place before the game tonight?"

"Uh, I can't."

"Why not?"

"My dog...is sick."

"You don't have a dog."

"I meant Cat. Yeah, Cat is sick. I just call her dog because she's my sister and I like to annoy her."

I cross my arms at his lie. I just want to know why he's lying. He awkwardly laughs and frantically gathers his books, rushing to leave the school.

Instead of walking home like I usually do, I walked to Mario's. Since I've grown up with Mario, I've also grown up with Cat.

I knock on the Selman's door and their mom answers.

"Hi Mrs. Selman!"

"Oh, hi Mariam! You haven't been over in awhile."

"Yeah, Mario hasn't been able to spend much time with me."

She looks slightly confused, "Hm, he doesn't seem very busy these days."

"So, how's Cat feeling?" I ask.

"Cat? She's fine. Why?"

"Mario said that she's sick."

"I need to have a talk with him. Whatever is up with him, I'll try and figure it out."

"Okay. Well I better get going," I tell her.

"Alright, come by soon Mariam!"

"Will do, Mrs. Selman."

Mario POV

"Mario? Can I come in?" My mom asks from the doorway.

"Sure," I reply.

She enters my bedroom and closes the door behind her.

"Mariam stopped by," I nervously fiddle with my fingers as I wait for my mom to tell me what Mariam was here for.

"She wanted to check on Cat. Why'd you lie to her, Mario?"

"I don't know," I mumble.

"Mario, she's your best friend. She knows that something is wrong with you."

"That's the thing mom! She's my best friend and..."

"And what?"

I take a breath before starting my confession, "And I want her to be more."

"Oh, I see. You like her in a different way, don't you?"

I nod my head.

"Well Mario, you can't keep pushing her away. You could lose Mariam and I know you'll regret that."

"What am I supposed to do, mom?"

"Tell her. Even if she doesn't feel the same way, she won't see you any differently. She'll still be your best friend. Although I think she does like you, so I wouldn't worry."

"Okay, when do I tell her?"

"Tonight at the football game. She's going right?"

"Yeah, she is."

"Then it's settled."

"Thank you, mom," I give my mom a hug.

She smiles and rubs my back, "That's what moms are for."

Mariam POV

I go to the bleachers and scan the crowd, hoping to find Mario. I feel someone tap my shoulder. Turning around, I see that it's Mario. I smile at the fact that Mario approached me.

Then I realize something. He has a rose in his hand.

"Mario, who's the rose for?"

"It's for you," he holds it out to me and I accept it.

"Mariam, I like you and I know I haven't really acted like it, but I didn't know how to express my feelings. You light up my world and I guess I was just afraid that you wouldn't feel the same."

"Well, I do feel the same."

"Really?"

I laugh, "Yes really."

Mario smiles and leans in. I follow his lead and do the same. Our lips meet in the middle in a short and sweet kiss.

"So Mariam, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course I will, Mario."

He chuckles and holds my hand as we sit down and watch the game.

» Dakota