Weston Koury // Of Course

requested by @heywes10

My head pounds as I sprint down the field. I am sure that the ball never loses my control and weave throughout the opposition.

"Go, Mackenzie!" I hear a shout vaguely in the distance. Smiling to myself, I slow down and prepare to shoot.

The ball flies through the air and over the goalie's head before landing securely at the bottom of the goal.

"Yes!" I high five my nearby teammate.

The game flies by as I hover near the ball, looking for chances to take, and we end winning: three to zero.

The rush dies down, and I look around for my mom's car. Instead, my phone begins buzzing uncontrollably.

"Hey, Mom," I say into the phone.

"Hey, honey. I'm sorry I'm running late. I just—"

"It's fine, Mom. I'll be waiting. Don't worry," She mumbles a goodbye as I hang up.

The field is mostly empty, so I find a patch of grass to sit down while I wait for my mom.

"Mackenzie!" A familiar tall boy is sprinting toward me. He waves wildly as he runs closer.

"Hey, Weston," I holler back.

Weston and I first met at school, and we've stayed in touch ever since. With his busy schedule, we don't see each other much, but when we do, it's always nice.

The first time we met was in grade school. I'd was upset because my team lost our first soccer game, and he happened to be watching us. I crouched down on the grass in tears, but he came over, seeing how upset I was. After cracking a few jokes, I was laughing and had forgotten about our loss.

The next day, at school, we sat together at lunch, and soon, our group of friends merged into one group. After he stopped going to regular school, we still planned times to hang out and spend time, but lately, since he's been so busy, we have not been able to catch up.

"Waiting for your mom?" He asks, gasping for air when he reaches me.

"Yup," I nod.

"I saw you play today. Congrats."

A small blush spreads across my face, "Thank you."

"Mind if I sit?"

I shrug, and he settles down next to me.

"So, I haven't seen you lately," He says, "What's up?"

"Same old, same old. School still isn't the same without you, but what can we do. How about you?"

Before he can respond, I quickly add onto my comment before, "I mean other than going on tour and what not. You're always so busy."

"Nothing then," Weston jokes. I laugh.

After spending so much time with this boy, I slowly fell for him. Even if we only see each other a few times a month, he always manages to make me laugh.

"So?"

"So."

"I was actually, um, wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime soon," He mumbles, staring at his hands.

"Really?" I ask cautiously.

"Yeah, actually, Kalynn, Ian and I wanted to see a movie, and maybe, you could come? I mean you don't have to but—"

"I would love to join," I laugh, "As long as Kalynn and Ian are okay with it."

"Of course they are," Weston nods, "I think I see your mom."

I nod and gather my bags.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?" He asks hopefully.

"Of course."

. . .

One Year Later

My head pounds as I sprint down the field. I am sure that the ball never loses my control and weave throughout the opposition.

"Go, Mackenzie!" I hear a shout vaguely in the distance. My boyfriend of a year is standing on the sidelines, decked out in my team's colors and screaming until he goes hoarse.

One year ago, he invited me to a movie, and I couldn't have been happier. Little did I know that one year later we would be happier together.

After months of missing him while he was gone on tour, he was finally back, and he would be back for a long stretch of time. Amid our busy schedules we always found time for each other.

Rumors circled our relationship for months while he was gone. People began seeing pictures of us together: hugging, cuddling, and going on dates. I was nervous about how his supporters would react to him having a girlfriend, but they were mostly, surprisingly supportive of our relationship.

Smiling to myself, I slow down and prepare to shoot.

The ball flies through the air and over the goalie's head before landing securely at the bottom of the goal.

"Yes!" I high five my nearby teammate.

The game flies by as I hover near the ball, looking for chances to take, and we end winning.

This time, instead of a call from my mother telling me she's running late, I am met with my boyfriend.

"I'm so proud," He smiles, cradling my face, "My girl just won the game."

"Hey, Weston," I blush. Even after a year of dating, I still find myself blushing, my heart speeding up.

"Happy Anniversary, baby girl," He kisses me on the lips gently, and I laugh.

"Are we on for the movies tonight, bubs?" I ask as he interwinds his hand with mine.

"Of course."

» melody