Weston Koury // Just Friends

"Hey babe," I turn to see my boyfriend of four months, Josh Wright. He's the captain of the football team and has all the girls wanting him, but he's not a player. Josh is one of the sweetest guys I know. He's the guy that sits with the new kids and the kids that don't fit in at lunch every now and then, the guy to carry your books to class, the guy to do the simple yet sweet things that drive you crazy-in a good way.

"y/n?" I flip back into reality after realizing I was staring at Josh in a daze...oops. "Sorry, what's up?" "You're coming to the game tonight, right?" "Wouldn't miss it." "Great, see you then." He kisses my cheek and walks off.

that night

My best friend Weston and I walk to the game together, considering we are neighbors. "I'm just saying y/n, Bob Duncan and Bobbi Wasabi are dad af." I clutch my stomach as I bend over dying of laughter.  "Are you serious right now?" "Dead serious." He tries to keep a straight face but ends up cracking up too. After a long walk full of strange conversations like that, we get to the football field. Just in time too, the game started a minute ago.

We join our friends and watch the game. Every time our team scored a touchdown, we would cheer at the top of our lungs. At the end of the game, our team had won and Weston screamed, "FOR DORAAAAA!!!" once again making me double over in laughter.  I run down into the field and congratulate Josh. He kisses me on the lips but it feels weird, different, and I know he noticed too. It was like our spark was gone. 

"We should stay friends," we both say at the same time. We look at each other and laugh. "No hard feelings?" he asks. "Of course not. Friends?" "Friends." We hug each other and go our separate ways. For some reason I feel relieved. I mean, Josh is a sweet guy but I guess he wasn't for me.

Weston walks over to me. "Wanna go to the lake by our house?" "Yes let's go!" We walk, well more like race with a lot of pushing and shoving, over to the lake.  "I WIN!" We both yell. "NO I DID!" We simultaneously argue. That was just our friendship. I sit at the edge of the dock, my feet dangling over, just hovering over the still water. Weston follows my lead. I stare up at the stars. It's crazy to think that there are billions of stars out there, and that we are just specks in the universe. My eyes gaze downwards, admiring the moon's reflection in the serene, tranquil waters.

A comfortable silence falls over us, but of course Weston had to ruin that. "How are you and Josh?" "We just broke up after the game." "I'm so sorry y/n." "No, it's fine. It was mutual. We realized we were better off as friends." Another silence came over us, except this one was awkward. I try to lighten the mood by asking, "What about you? Any special girl?" He turns to me, "You could say that, but I doubt she likes me back." "You should tell her, I mean you'll never know if you don't try." Nervously, Weston turns to me. "Y/N, I like you, a lot. Will you be my girlfriend?"

I was shocked to say the least, but I would be lying if I said I never had a spot for Weston in my heart. I put my hand on his cheek and kiss him lightly. We pull away, our foreheads touching and I speak. "I like you too, I think that's why Josh and I never worked out. But I just got out of a relationship less than an hour ago, so can we start slow?" "I'll wait as long as I have to." I smile and Weston puts his arm around me, as I bury my head in his neck. I couldn't be happier that we might be something in the future, but for now, we are just friends.

» Dakota