Mario Selman // Breakup

"Look, if you can't trust me then why are you even dating me?"

"I never said I didn't trust you! I just told you to be careful."

"You questioned my friendship with Weston!"

"Y/N!"

"Mario, I'm done. Since day one you've questioned everything. From me and Weston texting to being assigned partners with Jason! You've been so overprotective it's annoying!"

"If that's how you feel then I'll just leave!"

"Mario!"

Tears flood out of my eyes as I hear Mario slam my front door. How could that have just happened? Mario was the best person who ever walked into my life. He brightened my day everyday. Not only that, but he opened my eyes to the world. For the first time ever, I was motivated to become someone and do something. He changed my world and I just let him walk away. How could I do that?

-The next day-
I walk into school in the unspoken "I just broke up with someone" clothes, sweatpants and a baggy sweatshirt. My friend, Chloe, rushes to me.

"Y/N, are you okay?" She asks with concern.

"Couldn't be better," I reply sadly. Tears threaten to flush out again but I take a deep breath. The air around me shifts. Chloe glances behind me and tries to turn me away, "What?"

"It's nothing."

"Chloe, what is it?" I ask, turning around. Mario is walking in with his friend, Jason, by his side. Our eyes meet and the world stops. Everyone around us freezes. I know what you're thinking. And then they kiss. No, we turn away from each other. I suppress my tears again. I can see Mario walking towards me out of the corner of my eye. Why is he walking here? Oh right. His locker is next to mine. Great. I hear a small cough.

"Um excuse me."

Mario's voice is raspy and raw. I turn away.

"Sorry."

Chloe grabs my arm and pulls me away from awkward city.

"Seems like both of you aren't happy about the whole breakup thing. Why don't you try to talk him? He seems just as sad as you are."

"Chloe! I am not doing that. I was so tired of him being jealous of me talking to other boys. He needed to understand it actually hurt me."

"Whatever, but seriously just remember it's not like he's happy without you. You two had major chemistry. It'll pay off in the end."
With that Chloe walks away leaving me alone in the hall.

"Y/N! Hey, you okay?" One of my guy friends, Landon asks, swinging his arm around me. I push him off, "Why so pushy today? Breakups are hard I know, but it'll be over soon and you'll think about it and realize it wasn't a big deal."

"I'm okay, Landon. Why don't you go to class?"

"Well Y/N don't say I didn't warn you. There are other guys than Mario around. Mario is one in the hundred others. Trust me," He says with a slap on my back, "I'll see you around. Have a good day!"

I know what you're thinking. Landon and I are friends, but he isn't the sentimental type. He prefers to joke and around. Nothing in life bothers him. Which is probably why I'm friends with him. I head to science class; Jason is waiting for me at the door.

"Hey, Y/N, um we need to finish our project," I stop at the sound of Jason's voice, "Look I know you and Mario are upset but can we just keep it like we usually hang out. We need to finish this project and-"

"Yea, look we were friends from before so it shouldn't change anything."

"Cool?"

I nod. This is going to be a long day.

-A week later-
I slam my front door close and collapse onto the couch. It's been a week since Mario and I broke up. Sure, it's been an adjustment and I miss him so much, but I guess it's best for both of us. Our friends have sorta given up on the whole trying to get us back together thing. We pass each other in the halls sometimes, and maybe, just maybe, I like to imagine things, but I think he looks at me with a hope of some sort. The house is quiet and empty, my parents are at work or something, they come back later each year. It starts to drizzle, which is good thing because it means that the grass will turn green. Chloe texts me, complaining about how she has to walk home from cheer practice in the rain. Time passes as the sun starts to dip and the rain comes down harder and harder. I'm in the middle of writing a poem about breaking hearts when my doorbell rings. Strange. Anyone who made it to my doorstep in this rain would be drenched, and I didn't invite anyone over. I slowly get up and head to my door. The door rings again. I slowly open it. Someone's lips are on mine as I step into the pouring rain. My hair is drenched as we pull away.

"Mario," I say breathlessly.

"Look I-I miss you. And you were right. I was being overprotective. And I won't be. Well I'll try not to be anymore, just please, I still want to call you mine."

"Mario-"

"I swear. It was a mistake to-"

"Mario, of course you can call me yours again. I missed you too."

"Wait, so you're actually letting me-"

"Yes, Mario, yes I am."

He smiles and kisses me. This, this is what I've been missing. Suddenly I realize something.

"You realize we never actually broke up?"

» Melody