Weston Koury // In the Trees

requested by @heywes10

I grin lopsidedly as Weston jumps around the room. He laughs, screaming lyrics to random songs.

My boyfriend of six months has always known how to make me smile and laugh, even at the worst times. He's a continuous beam of light on my life.

I watch as he turns down the music and joins me on the ground. My back rests against his bed, and he slides next to me. The warmth of his body presses against my shoulder.

"Hey, bubs," I smile quietly.

"Hey," He replies and tucks my hair gently behind my ear. We sit there for a long moment, my head on his shoulder, his head resting against mine.

"Do you want to go on an adventure?"

"I'd love to," He offers a hand, and we both stand up. Interlocking our fingers, I follow him out the door. We run barefoot through his grassy yard, until we reach the edge of the woods.

I tip toe on the edge of his yard. A large, oak sprouts a few feet away from me. It's roots spread into Weston's yard and throughout the woods.

I remember the first time I'd ever met Weston, a year ago.

My heart flutters as I continue walking through the woods aimlessly. I hold onto my polaroid camera as I venture into silence. My feet crunch along the leafy ground.

Reaching the end of the woods, I look around. I'm met with a small group of houses. I stare at the large oak tree next to me and run my fingers across the rough bark.

"Good morning," A soft voice says. I jump, startled by the sound. My eyes meet a boy my age.

"Hi," I smile, "I hope I'm not intruding. I was just wandering."

"Oh no, don't worry about it."

I nod and look around.

He smiles crookedly, "Do you want to climb a tree?" His eyes follow the oak's trunk into the branches above.

"Sure," I shrug.

He takes my hand and places it on the uneven bark. I carefully grasp into it and heave myself up.

Continuing this pattern, I soon find myself on a thick brand. My feet dangle as I lean against the sturdy trunk.

"I'm Weston by the way," The boy turns to me from his spot in a crook of the tree. As the trunk splits into two branches, there's a perfect spot to sit in, which he took.

"I'm Mackenzie."

He smiles, "Do you want to climb a tree again tomorrow?"

I nod, "I'd love to," Then, pulling my polaroid camera away from my neck, I snap a photo of his in the trees with his feet dangling down.

"Do you want to climb a tree?" Weston asks from behind me.

I nod and step toward the oak. Carefully, I grasp onto an uneven patch and start up. My feet slip a bit as they grip onto the bark.

"Careful, baby girl," Weston says, wrapping his arms around me to catch my fall, "One at a time."

I follow his direction and slowly inch up the tree. He follows until we both make it onto our branches.

"I remember one year ago we met here," My voice is quit. I pull out the polaroid camera from my neck and snap a photo of him, "I couldn't ask for a better boyfriend, bubs. Thank you."

He doesn't respond. A lovesick smile spread across Weston's face. His eyes wander over my face and he carefully reaches out to touch my cheek.

"I love you," His eyes grow big at this sentence, as if surprised that he even said it out loud, "Oh goodness, I love you."

My heart increases in speed, "I love you too, Weston"

"Not as much as I love you."

» melody