Mark Thomas // Starbucks

requested by @_kaiiiitlynn_

ding ding

Whoever just woke me up from my sleep is going to get it.

ding ding

Seriously? I grab my phone and press the home button. The notifications flicker onto my screen.

-Messages-
Mark: the spot at 10 am
Mark: see you then?
Mark: kaitlyn!
Mark: wake up!!!
Mark: whatever just text me when you're up

-Instagram-
37 new followers
274 likes
98 comments

-Snapchat-
Mark sent you a snap!
Mark sent you a chat!
Mark sent you a snap!

I get that Mark is my best friend, but sometimes I seriously hate him. I send a quick 'okay' to Mark.

I go to my bathroom and get ready for the day. I brush out my blonde hair, brush my teeth, and all that other morning stuff.

Going downstairs, I catch a whiff of some cinnamon rolls.

"Mom! Isn't it a beautiful morning?"

"Sweetie, you aren't a morning person. What do you want?"

"You got me. I'm hanging out with Mark today. Can I have some money for food?"

"Sure honey. Eat some breakfast and you can leave whenever you're ready. Do you need a ride?"

"Nope. We're just meeting at the spot."

"Ever plan on telling me where that is?"

"Sorry mom, it's top secret."

She laughs, "Okay Kaitlyn."

I eat a fresh, hot cinnamon roll and tell my mom goodbye, not before getting the cash from her.

I lace up my shoes and walk over to Mark and I's spot. It's really special to us, which is why no one knows about it. Well someone probably does, we aren't entirely sure.

See, one day we were walking through the back of the park in all the trees. We were climbing random trees and saw a tree house. Naturally, we explored it. It looked like no one had been in there for a few years. We put up some reinforcements and now it's our spot.

That was back when we were 9 years old. We've been best friends since we were 3 years old and met in preschool. Now we are both 15 years old and growing.

When I reach the park, I duck into the thick patch of trees. Walking for a good five minutes, I finally see the familiar rope ladder appear in front of me. I climb up as carefully as I can.

Mark and I made use of the small space inside by making the place as cozy as possible. It doesn't seem tight anymore, just snugly.

"Hey Kaitlyn!"

"Mark!"

I sat down across from him. He was on his phone, probably tweeting at his fans. I'm honestly so proud of Mark. He has been able to truly express himself through social media and make loyal friends and supporters along the way.

I look at my best friend. That word. Friend. It's a nice word and all, but it's not how I want to describe Mark and I's relationship. I don't want to be his friend. I want to be his girlfriend. I'm not going to tell Mark that for the following two reasons:

1) He's my best friend. I'm not going to throw away 12 years of friendship for a crush that I can get over. Or at least I can try to get over.

2) I don't want to distract him from his career, assuming he feels the same as I do. He has much more important things to focus on than me.

"Kaitlyn? Kaitlyn?"

"Sorry, what?" I turn my attention to his voice.

"I was asking if you wanted to head to Starbucks?"

"Yeah, sure."

We climbed down from the spot and walked over to Starbucks. When we entered the coffee shop, I was glad to see it wasn't too crowded.

"I'll order our drinks, why don't you find a seat?

"Sounds good. Here's my money," I hand Mark my ten dollar bill.

"I'll pay."

"No, I insist, take my money."

"Sorry Kaitlyn, I'm paying," he runs off before I can finish protesting.

I sigh and find a table with two seats. I take a seat and scroll through my Twitter feed. A few short minutes later, Mark sits in front of me.

"Here's your drink."

"Thanks Mark."

I turn my drink around and see the name on it.

will you be my girlfriend?

"M-Mark, are you sure this is the right drink?"

"Positive. What do you say? Will you?"

"I-I," wait why am I nervous? This is what I wanted! "Yes Mark, I'll be your girlfriend!"

"Finally!"

"I just don't understand, I didn't think you liked me."

"I was noticing subtle hints that you liked me. It made me realize my feelings for you and I decided to make a move."

"Wow. To think if I just admitted my crush on you earlier, we could've already been dating."

"That doesn't matter. We're together now, let's enjoy this."

I smile at him and take a sip of the drink that changed my life forever.

» Dakota