Joey Birlem // New Years

requested by @EllieMarshall187

It was time for 2016 to end and 2017 to begin, and as usual I am spending this moment with my best friend, Joey Birlem.

He's been pretty busy with tours, events, and his career, but he is finally home for the holidays.

We have this tradition where we'll go to the middle of this lake in our hometown and watch the fireworks, counting down the last few seconds until the new year. Before that our families will have a nice, big dinner together. This year is no different, and I am so excited.

I finish the last of my home cooked dinner before Joey's mom brings out some dessert she made for tonight. Joey and I instantly go for our favorite treats and eat them as quickly as possible. Once we finish, we let our parents know that we will be heading out to the lake and race out the door.

Arriving at the lake, we first sit on the grass. We've still got some time before the fireworks will begin. Joey pulls me down beside him as he lays down on the grass. He puts his arm around me as my head rests on his chest.

We lay staring at the stars and sharing our favorite memories of this year with each other.

"Ellie, remember last year when we were on the lake during New Years?" he asks me.

I nod, and he continues, "You forgot your jacket that night so I let you borrow mine. You looked so cute in my oversized clothes," Joey laughs.

I lightly laugh with him, blushing at the fact that he said I looked cute, "Yeah, that was sweet of you."

"I also remember how intrigued you were with the fireworks, as you are every year, but last year was different. Your blue eyes sparkled when the sky lit up, and your brown hair was lightly blowing back. You were beautiful. Correction, you are beautiful."

"Thank you," I shyly reply, not entirely sure how to react to my best friend and crush complimenting me like this. Maybe he feels the same way about me that I do for him.

When the fireworks are about to start, Joey and I walk across the dock and onto the small boat that stays afloat besides it. He steps into the boat and holds his hand out for me to take while stepping into it myself.

He unties it from the dock and we row off towards the center of the calm waters. I always thought this lake was prettiest during the dark. It had a different vibe that you could never capture at a different time of the day.

The first spark shoots into the air, fanning out into a bright explosion, many more following in pursuit.

Joey places his arm over my shoulders and I lean into his warm embrace. Soon enough we hear the crowds beyond the lake shouting out the seconds.

"5!"

"4!"

"3!"

"2!"

"1!"

"Happy New Years!"

I feel Joey's hand gently turn my chin to face him. He looks into my eyes for a short second before crashing his lips into mine. The sound of the last few fireworks fill the atmosphere yet the biggest sparks are the ones going off inside me as we kiss.

Joey pulls away and I cuddle into him yet again.

"Happy New Years, Ellie."

» Dakota