Nathan Triska // Electricty

requested by @faithistrash
I'm so so so sorry this took forever. I apologize for my late requests. Recently, I've been struggling with finding the right words to use and how to reconnect with my writing. Hopefully, this is a new start. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding (also, if you want to blame anyone, blame me, melody).

I watch as the boys in front of me mess around. They throw paper balls to each other. Our teacher doesn't seem to care: He just continues talking.

"We are going to be starting a project," The entire class groans.

A hands shoots up, but before they can ask their question, our teacher answers, "I'll be choosing your partners."

I glance at my friends, knowing we won't be together for this project. What a cruel world.

"Here we go. Zach and Amy. Alex and Kayla. Faith and Nathan."

I sit up straight, glancing around the room. A boy in the front row with brown hair glances around until he sees me. I give a tentative wave then wait for instructions.

"You'll be building a circuit together. I will have all the materials in this class, but you're going to need to spend time after school or during lunch."

There's screech of chairs and thunderous roar of teenage footsteps. I locate Nathan, and we take a table in the far left corner. It's quieter there.

"We should do something that moves food around in a circle."

I don't question it, "And how?"

"Maybe rotating a flat disc so that it moves in a circle?" He laughs.

"Sounds good."

His face turns serious, "You're serious?"

I try to read his face, "Um, well-"

"YES! I LOVE MY PARTNER ALREADY!" He jumps up to get materials. Patting me on the head, he runs toward the front table.

"This should work," I touch the battery with the open wire, and the motor starts spinning.

"So now we need something light enough to move, but strong enough to carry food."

"Basically," I shrug.

"THIS IS SO COOL. I LOVE IT," He starts laughing uncontrollably, and soon, I join in.

"You're a cool partner," He moves around shifting a few of our left over materials. Instead of grinning at this like usual, I find myself blushing slightly.

"Thanks?" I say weakly.

I drop into my usual seat at lunch. While I'm normally the first to arrive, today, I had to help Nathan sort through millions of parts, and even after we'd finished, he'd insisted of telling me corny jokes until I was positive that it was time to go to lunch.

"Hey. Faith!" A voice shouts, as if trying to get my attention.

I turn around ten times, trying to find the source of the voice. Nathan is standing at the edge of our table.

"Yeah?" I ask, fidgeting with my hands.

"So, I was wondering if you wanted to hang on Friday night? You know to like work on the whole electricity thing?" He asks, flashing me the usual smile.

"I'd love to," I tried to ignore the butterflies in my stomach.

"Cool."

After working up toe confidence to actually leave my house and having about ten friends convince me that I looked okay, I finally found myself on Nathan's doorstep, waiting to ring the doorbell. Right as I was about the press the button, the door swung open, revealing the brown-haired boy who I was working on "the whole electricity thing" with.

"Hey," He stops at the doorway, smiling in a daze.

"Um, hi," I smile weakly.

We stand there for a moment of awkward silence, both smiling awkwardly with small smiles on our faces.

"Oh, right," Nathan snaps out of his daze, "House. Here, come in. It's warmed in here. Plus, we need to work on the electricity stuff. Yeah. Okay so-"

"You could just let me in?"

His eyes widen as if that idea never dawned, "Right," I follow him into the house which is substantially warmer than outdoors.

We sit down on a wooden table. Small parts for our project are scattered on top the solid counter. Taking a seat next to him, I tinker with the parts, fitting wires together and connecting them with batteries.

"So . . . "

I look up at him. His face, inches away from my cheek, is turned towards me.

"Hi."

I try to respond, but I'm too distracted by the warmth radiating off his face.

"So I was-"

Before I can continue, his lips are gently pressed against mine. I close my eyes, taking in his scent, the moment, everything.

"I thought," I giggle, "We were working on electricity."

"We are," Then, his lips are on mine once more.

» Melody