Like Uncle Like Niece-John

You stood at the sink in the kitchen and washed the dishes there. You sighed when you finished and moved on to other tasks.

"Mommy!"

You sighed and shouted down the hallway, "Mommy's busy right now! What do you need?"

"I'm bored. I want you to play with me!" She shouted back.

"Mommy can't play right now! Go play with daddy!" You called.

"I already did! He said the same thing but to ask you." Laura said.

You rubbed your forehead, exhausted. Then an idea came to you.

"Go up the stairs and play with Uncle Sherlock." You said and smiled to yourself.

"Really? Yay!!" She exclaimed.

She ran down the hallway but you caught her by the arm. She looked at you and hunched over annoyed.

"Now remember. Don't touch anything he doesn't want you to and be good." You said pointing your finger at her.

"I know mommy. Now can I go please?" She asked.

"Go get what you want to bring and then yes you can go." You said.

She ran back to her room to grab some things she liked to bring up the Sherlock's flat. You grabbed your phone and decided to tell Sherlock she was coming.

'Hey Sherlock. Just wanted to warn you that Laura is coming up. Just so you know.' You pressed send as Laura ran up the steps not even giving Sherlock enough time to respond.

You smiled when you heard the door shut and continued with your housework. John walked into the room and sat down next to you on the couch. You stopped what you were doing and sat back with him. You rested your head on his shoulder and he grabbed your hand. You pecked him on the cheek and he smiled down at you.

"I see you sent Laura up to Sherlock." John said.

"Just so." You responded.

Suddenly, you heard a high pitched scream come from Sherlock's flat. You jumped up and ran out the door with John on your heels. You burst through the door and saw Laura smiling and laughing. Sherlock was smiling too, almost proudly.

"What happened?" You asked.

"I figured it out, Mommy!" She exclaimed.

"Figured it out? Figured what out?" You asked.

"She just solved my case." Sherlock said.

Laura looked up at Sherlock and they both smiled bigger and brighter. You sighed in relief and Sherlock walked towards you. You turned around and slapped him quickly.

"Don't you ever get me scared like that again." You said through gritted teeth.

"I got you scared?" He asked.

You rolled your eyes, "I thought I told you not to let her get involved with these cases." You said.

"You did. Laura just walked up took one look and had it down. I guess since she's spent a lot of time with me, a little bit has rubbed off." Sherlock said.

"Oh yeah, like uncle like niece." You said sarcastically.

"Did anyone say that?" John asked.

"Yeah. I did." You said looking back at him.

John gave you a look and you turned back to Sherlock. You took a deep breath and calmed down. Laura looked up at you with a glimmer in her eyes.

"Are you proud of me Mommy?" She asked.

You knelt down to her level, "Oh yes, sweetheart. I'm so proud of you." You said smiling. "Now, why don't you go get a snack." You said.

She smiled and ran to the kitchen to find something to eat. John looked at you with a confused look on his face.

"Why were you so upset when you found out Laura solved the case?" He asked.

"Because I used to be like that. Sherlock and I would go around trying to find something to deduce. I just...I don't want what happened to me to happen to her." You said and sat down on the couch.

You saw a slight amount of pain in Sherlock's eyes as he remembered the incident as well.

Flashback:

You were only ten years old when this happened. You wanted to prove that you were smart enough to solve these cases so you went to where you'd figured out someone was hiding out. You crept into a room and saw two men and another person strapped to a chair. They were talking but you were too far away to hear them. As you got closer you started filming it with your camera that you brought.
Then, one of the men pulled out a gun and shot the tied up men right in the head. You gasped as you saw it happen and the men heard you. They turned to that direction and you put your camera away.

"Hey you!" One of them called as you turned around to escape.

You didn't respond but just kept going.

"Hey! Stop!" He yelled again.

You broke into a run and pulled out your mom's phone that you had taken. You pressed the emergency call button and it dialed the police. You were just about to make it out the door as you told the police your location. One loud noise rang through the room. A gunshot. You sank to your knees and curled into a small pile as the policeman hung up the phone and began to make his way to that location.
The man searched through your stuff and found your camera. He heard the sirens and looked up to the street.

"We gotta get out of here!" The other man shouted.

"What about her?" The first one asked.

"Just leave her."

The man ran from where you were as the police came in. They got the men and took you to the hospital.

Present:

"I got in so much trouble after my parents found out." You said.

"I would imagine so." John said.

"I was very happy that you were brace enough to do that however." Sherlock said from his spot.

You smirked, "Yep. Then you became to consulting detective and I got married and had a child." You said.

Laura came back into the room and sat on your lap.

"That was fun solving the case." She said.

"I'm sure it was." You said.

"Maybe I will go and solve my own some time." She said thoughtfully.

"No!" You, John, and Sherlock all said at the same time.

You cleared your throats and looked at her, "Umm, no, not for a while now." You said and smiled weirdly.

"Okay fine." She sighed.

You all started laughing and you felt better inside knowing you could prevent your daughter from making your same mistakes.