Protected (Part 1)-Sherlock

A/n: So, I'm gonna make this be like when Sherlock just started his job as a consulting detective, so he won't be completely shut off from sentiment. And John's also not there.  Hope you enjoy! 😁

~Sherlock's POV~

I had solved yet another case and had told Lestrade who the murderer was. He looked at me shocked but then nodded and immediately went to arrest the killer. I smiled to myself, proud of myself for what I'd done. I sighed and turned on my heel, exiting the building. I walked along the sidewalk and stopped by at a cafe. I got a simple coffee, black with two sugars. I walked back outside and stood in one spot to drink my coffee. There were so many people walking by and my mind was racing as I deduced almost all of them in mere seconds.
I was distracted from my thoughts when I felt a tugging on my coat, and something or someone brushing against my leg. I looked down at my leg and saw a little girl squeezing my leg and it seemed as if she was trying to hide. The little girl looked about three, she had short h/c hair and a beautiful shade of e/c eyes. She seemed to be scanning the crowd of people as if looking for someone. I didn't know what to do but I decided to ask her if she was looking for someone. I knelt down and her eyes darted to my face.

"Hello there."  I said as sweetly as I could. "Are you looking for someone?"  I asked her.

She nodded and stuck her thumb in her mouth. She stuck her finger in her hair and started to twirl a strand, keeping both hands occupied.

"Can you tell me who it is?"  I asked.

She pulled her thumb out briefly so that she could answer me, "Mommy."  She said.

"Oh you've lost your mommy."  I repeated.

I straightened up and started to scan over the people, looking for someone who might look like the little girl at my feet. I looked to the left and suddenly heard a woman's voice calling out a name.

"Cheryl!" 

'Cheryl?'  I thought.

I knelt down to the three year old to ask her one more question. "Is your name Cheryl?"  I asked.

She nodded as a response and as I stood up the woman from earlier had approached us.

"Cheryl!"  She exclaimed and swooped her child up into her arms. "Thank goodness you're alright."  She said and kissed Cheryl's forehead.

"Mommy!"  Cheryl squealed.

I smiled slightly at the two of them. The mother looked at me and smiled.

"Thank you, for finding her."  She said.

"Actually, your daughter found me."  I stated.

The woman laughed and then looked at Cheryl. "She loves people. She gets it from her father."  She said and I could see that she was getting teary eyed.

"Did something happen to him?"  I asked.

The woman nodded, "He, umm, he died protecting us."  She said motioning to her and her daughter. "Thank you again for keeping Cheryl safe, Mr..." She trailed off waiting for me to give her my name.

"Sherlock.  Sherlock Holmes."  I answered.

"Nice to meet you Sherlock.  I'm y/n y/l/n.  And this is my daughter Cheryl."  She said shaking my hand.

"They're both beautiful names."  I said.

I saw a blush coat y/n's face after I said that and she started to walk away. "Good bye Mr. Holmes. Maybe we'll see each other again."  She said.

She turned around and walked away. I watched them go for as long as I could until they disappeared from my sight.