Trying To Help (Part 6)

You tried the door handle over and over again. No matter how hard you tried it wouldn't budge. You backed up then rammed into the door. Time and time again it didn't do anything. You felt a tap on your shoulder and turned to see John standing there, fire extinguisher in hands.
You smiled and stepped aside, ready for him to bust the door down. And he did. It opened with a loud bang!  You rushed inside just to see Culverton Smith move his hands away from Sherlock's mouth and turn to the door. You looked at the heart monitor and saw that his heart wasn't beating for a brief time. You looked at Sherlock who was gasping for breath as Smith kept claiming he was trying to help Sherlock. A police officer came in right after the two of you and was restraining Smith.

"Sherlock, what was he doing to you?"  John asked.

"Suffocating me, overdosing me." Sherlock explained pointing to the drug stand.

"On what?"  John asked.

"Saline."  Sherlock answered.

"Saline?"  You asked.

"Yeah, saline."  Sherlock said.

"What d'you mean saline?"  John asked.

"Well, obviously I got Nurse Cornish to switch the bags. She's a big fan you know. Loves my blog."  Sherlock said.

John frowned. "You're okay?"  He asked.

"No-no of course I'm not okay. Malnourished, double kidney failure...what kind of a doctor are you?"  Sherlock asked. "I got my confession though. Didn't I?" 

Smith pulled free from the officer as Sherlock looked at him. "Huh!  I don't recall making any confession."  He started walking towards Sherlock but you and John stopped him. "What would I be confessing to?"  He asked.

"You can listen to it later."  Sherlock said.

"But there is I confession to listen to."  He stopped and gasped. "Oh Mr. Holmes. I-I don't know if this is relevant, but we found three potential recording devices in the pockets of your coat."  He said and turned to you and John. "Sorry." 

Sherlock lowered his head, shocked. "Must be something comforting about the number three. People always give up after three." 

He looked up at Smith and then John who looked all too confused.

"What?  What is it?  What?"  John asked.

Sherlock stayed silent but had a slight smirk on his face. You did too since you of course knew of the plan. John sighed in exasperation.

"You cock."  He said.

"Yeah."  Sherlock said.

"You utter, utter cock."  John said.

"Heard you the first time."  Sherlock said looking back in front of him.

John walked over to his walking cane and picked it up.

"How does it open?"  He asked.

"Screw the top."  You said.

John looked at you with an unbelieving expression on his face. You shrugged and turned back to Sherlock. He opened the cane and out came the recorder in John's hand.

"Two weeks ago?"  John asked.

"Three."  Sherlock responded.

"I'm that predictable."  John stated.

"No.  I'm just a cock."  Sherlock said smiling.

John rolled his eyes and then turned to you. You looked at him as innocently as possible.

"And you knew about this for how long?"  John asked.

"Oh I knew about it the whole time."  You said as if it were nothing.

"So, you weren't ever really worried for Sherlock?"  He asked.

"I'm a good actor. But I was slightly afraid that he'd mess something up and...well, let's just be happy he didn't."  You said locking eyes with Sherlock.

He smiled at you and you smiled back. You loved it when he smiled. Not his fake smiles but a real, genuine smile. It made the butterflies explode through your stomach and your heart race. Because you would do anything for Sherlock. Anything.