You have a miscarriage

We had recently found out the genders of our babies. A boy and a girl.

The other day I discovered a little blood so we have booked for an ultrasound again today. This is my first pregnancy and it's mine and Niall's first children so I hope they are fine.

"I hope my little prince and princess are okay in there" Niall said kissing my stomach. I smiled slightly.

*******

"Y/n Horan?" The nurse said. Niall and I stood up and followed her with our hands intertwined. I lied on the bed and lifted my shirt up revealing my swollen stomach. I was 5 months pregnant and already had a pretty large bump. Niall sat on the chair next to the bed and held my hand.

The nurse moved the wand around my stomach and we looked at the screen. "I'm sorry, I'll be back in a minute" she said leaving the room. I looked at Niall with worry in his eyes. "I'm sure they're fine" He said reassuring himself and me. The nurse came back with a doctor which was more qualified than her.
"I'm sorry to say this, but it appears that one of your twins have died" she said . A tear escaped my eye. "Which one?" I asked. "Your baby boy " she said. "I'll leave you both for a few minutes" she said leaving the room.

Niall hugged me and I felt his tears on my neck. "Why us?" I cried. "What did I do wrong?" I asked. Niall pulled away from the hug and I looked into his blue eyes. "You did nothing wrong! Do not blame this on yourself!" He said a tear leaving his eye again.

The nurse came back in. "So there are a few options for you." She said and I nodded. "You can book an appointment and deliver the baby boy soon , but that could harm the other baby, or you can carry him for the full nine months with the other baby and deliver him when you go into labour naturally. " she explained and Niall and I nodded. "Will that harm the other baby in any way?" Niall asked . " the second option does have a slight risk to the other baby, but it is only 1 in every 1000 that the other baby does pass away , but the risk for the first option is a lot higher because it can mean that the other baby would end up being delivered prematurely so then the risk of it dying would be a lot higher because it's lungs and other important organs wouldn't have been fully developed yet" she explained. "We'll go for the second option, carrying him for the full nine months" I said and she nodded. "Because you picked this option, when he is born, you would be able to spend some time with him and he would get a birth certificate that you would keep" she said. "Would we be able to get his hand print and foot print done into a clay thing so it can be framed?" Niall asked. The nurse nodded. "Often, the hospitals will do this for you and put it in a frame and you can customise it when you want" she said and I nodded.

***********

"Ahhhhhh!" I screamed as I pushed squeezing Niall's hand tighter. "Baby a is out!" The midwife said and I heard the beautiful cry of our baby girl. The nurse put the baby on my chest. "We will deliver the baby boy soon after you've had time with her. I nodded looking down at my baby girl. "She looks like you Nialler" I said and Niall smiled looking down at her. She opened her eyes which where as blue as Niall's. she had his eyes, brown hair, lips but she had my nose. I passed her to Niall and a tear escaped his eye. "Wow, she's gorgeous" he said and I nodded agreeing. " we will take her for tests now and in the meantime you can deliver your baby boy and spend some time with him" the nurse said and I nodded.

"Owwwwww!" I screamed pushing. It didn't hurt as much because he was tiny but it still hurt. My baby boy was laid on my chest. The nurse opened his eyes a little to show us the colour and then closed them again. He had Niall's eyes. He was exactly like our baby girl, Niall's hair,eyes and lips but my nose. I gave him to Niall. Niall held him and cried. "Hello baby boy, I know you can't hear me but me and mummy love you very much, I know that you will be looking down on me, mummy and your sister, I love you son" Niall said kissing his forehead. The nurse took him away and I cried. "We will get the hand and footprints done for you and they will be back to you soon, do you have a name for the baby girl?" The nurse asked. "Aaliyah Grace Horan" Niall said and she nodded writing the birth certificate. "And for your baby boy?"  She asked. "Luke James Horan" Niall said and she wrote the birth certificate . She handed them to us and left the room. The doctor came back in with our sleeping baby girl and the footprints and hand prints of our precious little baby boy. He handed the baby to me and the foot and hand prints to Niall.
*******

I looked at the frame on the wall in the hallway. Niall had Taken Aaliyah to the studio with him, she was now a month old, time flies.  The frame was black and the inside was baby blue. Inside there was the hand and footprints of Luke, 2 of the ultrasound photos from the twins pregnancy, a picture of me holding him and Niall holding Aaliyah.we smiled in the picture but it was obvious we was crying. And in the centre of the frame was a small golden plaque that said :

Luke James Horan
Rest in peace baby boy
We all love you very much,
See you soon our precious little boy.
Taken away from us too soon
Born asleep on the 1st of October 2016