Magic?

Hello friends! Updated introduction because I wanted to fix the formatting really quick, so hello from 2021! (This fic was started in 2015, for context) Sorry to anyone who left comments on the original intro :(

Before we jump into the little snippets and things from the story, I have a few little things to say. 

1. Thank you so much for reading this ginormous story!!! I've been working on this for what feels like forever, and I'm so glad people have enjoyed the journey. That being said, I fully understand if you can't get through the whole thing. It's like 300+ chapters, I do not blame you.

2. This has been going on for a whopping 7 years, and for the most part the age Amisty is in the story is the age I was when writing her. 90% of the reason why I don't go back to edit chapters is because she grew up with me. My views on romance have matured and I've grown as a person, so I'm recognizing that some aspects of this are toxic but I'm leaving them there because it's a part of my journey and personal development. So!!! Warnings about toxic romance and relationships! They get better because I learned to be better, still not excusable. 

3. The writing gets better! The characters get better! I promise!!!

4. This is a Draco Malfoy love story (him x an oc, to be exact) but other ships are definitely present in the story. Some less intentional than others, since it was a learning curve on trying to write platonic relationships. Draco x Amisty is the final ship, but it takes a while. :)

5. This is split into two different books because, again, overwhelming number of chapters. This one is years 1-5 (and only midway through year 5), and the second one on my page is 5-7. Start here! (Unless you want to skip ahead to when they're older, I think the story still works)

Alrighty, that should be everything. Time to dive into the snippets >:D

-=+=-

Amisty River never expected to be a witch.

But, to be fair, she never expected very much to come out of her life.

This is the story of her life at Hogwarts. The place where she uncovers the secrets of her family, her past, herself, and power she must learn to control.

The place where she forges her own family and just might fall in love along the way. Even if it hurts.

After all, what else are a Slytherin and Gryffindor going to do other than crash and burn?

-=+=-

"My names Harry Potter," He held out his hand for her to shake,

"Amisty River," She whispered quietly, briefly shaking his hand.
"I'm sure you might want to get going, my uncle isn't the nicest person around," Harry told her.

"You don't mind that I took some food?" She asked, bewildered. She would think that finding a stranger in your home would warrant a more extreme reaction rather than this.

Harry shook his head, "I think my cousin needs to lose a few pounds. A few missing cookies may do him some good," He grinned. Amisty smiled back, hesitantly heading toward the window again,

"See you again sometime?" Harry asked, his voice coming from behind her,

"Uh... sure," She was shocked, until realizing she may have just met her first friend.

-=+=-

"Woah, woah," Draco grabbed her shoulders, his eyebrows knitted. "Slow down, take a deep breath."

She groaned, burying her face in his chest, "I'm sorry. I'm worried."

He ran his fingers through her hair gently, untangling the curls she had haphazardly brushed through that morning.

"You're worried and you're overthinking," He replied softly. "Term ends tomorrow afternoon, you'll be able to see them soon."

"I'm scared, Draco," She whispered, winding her arms around his waist.

"Of what?"

"I was born in a world with a target on my forehead," Her voice grew softer still, her fingers clenched around the back of his sweater, "and I think I'm walking right back into it."

"That's ridiculous, Amisty," Draco replied sharply. "You'll be perfectly safe."

She didn't reply, turning her cheek.

Draco sighed, resting his chin on the crown of her head, "You, my love, are brave and brilliant and strong, and no matter how the world turns, I know you'll be able to fight through it."

-=+=-

started: june 7th, 2015

finished: january 22nd, 2021