Prefects: Year 5/Summer

Echo left with a letter tied to her leg, the tawny relieved to be free of the house. Amisty had listened to Harry.

It had been about a week and a half since Echo got to do any long distance flying, and made it incredibly clear how antsy she was being cooped up inside in the miserable house.

Dear Draco,

Sorry for replying so late, Harry's trial and everything kept me a bit busy. I actually have been working on my shifting! Plenty of time to do it with nothing happening around me, and with all the Disillusionment Charms all over my house barely any Muggles can find it I don't really have to worry about being seen...

It was much easier to lie over letters, she had learned. If only she could make excuses over writing in person.

But, then again, it'd be rather odd to see her whip out a quill and scrap of parchment whenever she wanted to tell a little lie.

There was barely any time for her to read, let alone find time to practice her shifting. She really tried to find moments for it, though, and Lupin seemed very determined that she learn how to control it as well.

A part of her mind made her think it was because he didn't have control over his own shifting, and it saddened her immensely. But she worked even harder whenever the thought drifted into her mind, to make him feel better.

...It's getting easier, thanks to you, and I'm getting the hang of it. One day, maybe I'll be able to do it without even thinking. Like my mother! I wonder how long it took her to get control over it. She didn't have help... or background knowledge, for that matter. I'm lucky to have you, I guess, even if you can be an obnoxious prat sometimes. And I say that with love, by the way.

See you soon, Amisty

She smiled as her owl flew off, somewhat jealous.

-=+=-

The Hogwarts letters finally arrived. It wasn't very interesting, just the book list and the same reminder about the beginning of term, but it gave Amisty something to look forward to.

"Two new textbooks," She called to Hermione over the list, throwing the envelope addressed to her. "The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5, and Defensive Magical Theory."

"Must mean Dumbledore got a new Defense teacher," Hermione replied, tearing open her own letter and promptly letting out a loud shriek of excitement.

"What?" Amisty asked, wincing.

"I've been made a Prefect!" Hermione almost shouted, bouncing up and down around the room, flashing the scarlet and gold badge.

"Surprising no one!" Amisty joked, leaping up to her side. "Let me see it!"

Hermione passed over the badge, still beaming giddly. It was bright scarlet and gold, a decorative capital P over the roaring Gryffindor lion.

"I bet Harry got it, too!" Hermione declared, her cheeks pink and eyes glowing.

"Oh, congratulations, Hermione!" She beamed, pulling her friend into a tight hug and pressing the badge into her hand again. "Let's go tell the boys, shall we?"

They raced to their room, throwing the door open. Ron, Harry, Fred, and George all looked up at them.

"Did you -- did you get -- ?" Hermione stumbled over her words in her excitement, eyes locking on the badge in Harry's hand. "I knew it! Me too, Harry, me too!"