Mazes: Year 4

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch field for the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium," Dumbledore announced.

"Good luck, Harry!" Amisty beamed, giving him a quick hug before he followed after Cedric, Fleur, and Krum out the Great Hall as the Gryffindor table applauded.

Five minutes passed, and Amisty walked with Ron and Hermione to the stands, practically bouncing from foot to foot in excitement and nerves.

Stars winked down at her from the slowly darkening sky as she took her seat, and she tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear as a gust threatened to tangle it. Bill and Mrs. Weasley had joined them, Ginny with her first-year friends and Fred and George with Lee Jordan.

The champions were standing around a massive leave hedge maze, varying colors of eyes scanning the height and fingers twiddling with their wands.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand!" Mr. Bagman's magnified voice echoed across the stands. "Tied in first place, with eight-five points each -- Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!"

The Hogwarts students cheered, clapping and shouting and stomping.

"In second place, with eight points -- Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!"

More cheers.

"And in third place -- Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!"

And more clapping, quite a bit more coming from the younger boys in the crowd who'd been trailing after her since her arrival.

Harry waved up at them from where he was standing, a nervous sort of smile on his face.

"So... on my whistle, Harry and Cedric! Three -- two -- one!" Mr. Bagman blew his whistle, and Harry and Cedric hurried into the maze. Two pinpricks of light -- most likely cast through a Lumos -- were the only indication of where they were as they split off.

"Viktor!" Mr. Bagman nodded. "Three -- two -- one."

Krum walked into the maze, quick to cast a Lumos as well, turning to the right and heading in deeper.

"Fleur!"

The whistle blew once more and all of the champions were inside the maze, red glints of light circling 'round the hedges as the Professors monitored.

A blaze of fire erupted off from where Cedric had headed, following by quite a few jets of color as Cedric fought back. Skrewts. Amisty couldn't decide if that was the reason they had to endure the torture of taking care of them.

There was a blast of silver light, taking the familiar form of Harry's stag Patronus before a loud crack sounded instead.

He must've encountered a boggart.

The lights circled, none of them coming very close to the middle, always veering slightly off course.

Until one, the familiar shade of light blue that was Fleur's, managed to inch closer. Amisty nearly jumped out of her seat when there was a high, girlish scream that could have only come from her.

And then silence, and no sign of any red sparks.

The blue light of her wand flickered out, and Amisty stared at the space where it had been in bewilderment.

"What happened to her?" She turned to Ron and Hermione, her emerald eyes wide.

"No idea," Ron murmured, leaning closer as if to get a better view. "She sounded pretty scared, though."