A New Song: Year 5

"First years line up over here, please! All first years to me!" A voice called that was certainly not Hagrid.

Amisty peered through the darkness, wincing as a lantern was suddenly brandished in front of her face. It was Professor Grubbly-Plank.

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry asked, nothing bothering to keep his voice down.

"I don't know, but we'd better get out of the way, we're blocking the door," Ginny replied, pushing him slightly.

"Oh yeah..."

They shuffled through the crowd, and suddenly Ginny wasn't with them anymore and Amisty was one misstep away from losing Harry in the masses.

They walked together toward the carriages with the strange black horses, trying to find an empty one and stalling for Hermione and Ron.

"Where's Pig?" Ron asked, appearing out of nowhere.

"That Luna girl was carrying him," Harry replied, turning to face him. "Where d'you reckon -- "

" -- Hagrid is? I dunno. He'd better be okay..." Ron replied uneasily.

Hermione pushed her way through to them, panting, "Malfoy was being absolutely foul to a first year back there, I swear I'm going to report him, he's only had his badge three minutes!"

Amisty sighed, handing off Crookshanks to Hermione.

"Where's Ginny?" Ron asked.

"Over there," Amisty pointed from where Ginny was elbowing and ducking under arms, looking faintly disgruntled.

"Come on, let's get a carriage together before they all fill up," She grumbled, straightening out her hair and stomping off to a carriage.

"I haven't got Pig yet!" Ron protested, but he was already trailing after her.

"What are those things, d'you reckon?" Harry asked, pointing at the horses.

Amisty blinked.

He could see them all this time and waited until now to say something?

"What things?" Ron looked at where he was pointing blankly.

Harry's eyebrows furrowed, "Those horse -- "

Luna appeared out of nowhere, holding Pigwidgeon's cage tightly and watching them with her big eyes, "Here you are. He's a sweet little owl, isn't he?"

"Er... yeah... He's all right," Ron shrugged, voice low as he took the cage. "Well, come on then, let's get in... what were you saying, Harry?"

"I was saying, what are those horse things?" Harry repeated, still gazing at the bat horses.

"What horse things?" Ron raised an eyebrow.

"The horse things pulling the carriages!" Harry almost snapped, clearly annoyed.

"What are you talking about?"

Amisty climbed into the carriage, smushing in beside Hermione and Ginny with a twittering Echo in her arms.

Ron, Harry, and Luna joined them a few moments after, Harry looking faintly concerned.

"Did everyone see that Grubbly-Plank woman? What's she doing back here? Hagrid can't have left, can he?" Ginny asked as the carriage started to move.

"I'll be quite glad if he has. He isn't a very good teacher, is he?" Luna replied mildly.

"Yes, he is!" Four voices exclaimed indignantly.