The Year's Almost Gone: Year 1

"Don't say a word and you might get away without a fresh bruise," Amisty warned, shoving her hand behind her back.

Even though the scar was barely noticeable, it was still a sign of weakness. Sure, she had many others, but they remained covered beneath the flowing fabric of her school robes.

"So you're back to normal I see," He snapped back, his mouth quirking up into its usual smirk.

"Like you would care, I bet you wanted me to rot down there," She growled, planting her feet and glaring up at him.

She still hadn't caught up in height. It seemed like she never would, especially if she went back home to the streets.

"What's wrong with your hand?" He asked suddenly, his gaze seeming to see through her.

She shuddered slightly, cupping her scarred hand with her other without realizing her movements.

"I have no idea what you're on about," She replied, her lie slipping off her tongue as easily as ice in the winter.

So, not so easily after all.

She took a step back.

"River, what happened?" He continued, his tone serious. Why did he care?

"You're losing it, Malfoy, there's nothing wrong with my hand," She retorted, taking another step back and rolling her eyes.

In the moment of not keeping him in her sights, he grabbed her wrists.

Before she even had the time to fight back he spun her around, grey-gaze scorching along her palm, taking in the sight of the curved, faint white scar.

It was done. He had seen it.

"What did you do?" He asked, his voice frighteningly calm.

Amisty felt unnerved, she had never seen him express any emotion other than anger and pride when she was in his vicinity.

So, she put her guard up.

"That's none of your business," She yanked her hand away, whirling around on her heel and stalking off in the direction she had started off in.

He didn't follow her, which was a relief, and the second the burning sensation on her back ceased she let out a breath she hadn't known she had been holding.

Why must he find a way to know every single one of her secrets?

At this rate he'll know her entire backstory before she even knows why her parents died.

She walked through the hallways quickly, her feet barely making more than a muffled thump against the carpeted floors.

Malfoy's sudden appearance had set her on edge. Every shadow looked like him, every tap sounded like his footsteps. Her paranoia was getting to her.

"Get over yourself, Amisty. Pull it together!" She scolded herself in her mind after nearly jumping out of her skin at the sight of a shadow accompanied with a faint clink of metal.

Shaking her head slightly to clear her mind, she started again, clambering through the portrait hole and into the common room.

Thankfully it was empty except for Ron and Hermione, who sat perched on the edge of a couch like birds ready to take flight at the slightest hint of a breeze.

"I'm back," She waved slightly as she dropped down into the room.

Warmth enveloped her, not only from the comforting aura of the room but also the tight embrace the two pulled her in.