Classes: Year 1

Amisty usually wandered through the halls alone or with the company of Hermione or Harry and Ron.

Never with them all together, however.

She was trying to find her way to each and every class without help and that led to her constantly getting hopelessly lost.

She payed close attention to all her classes, even History of Magic, which was very uninteresting to her and everyone else. Her favorite class so far had to be Transfiguration or Charms, mostly because Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick had earned themselves the rank of her favorite teachers.

Hermione clearly liked Transfiguration too, and the two girls read and reread the books over and over, trying to perfect the spells the Professor had taught them.

Her first lesson with Professor McGonagall was interesting, ending with Hermione's match looking most like a needle, but Amisty was happy with her own accomplishment.

She had learned the spell that helped her hearing, even though Professor McGonagall wouldn't tell her why she needed it.

"You'll learn why yourself as time goes on," Was all she had replied when Amisty asked.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was far from what Amisty thought it would be, Professor Quirrell's room reeked of garlic, and the Professor himself stank of stuff as well.

The twins explained that the garlic was to ward off a vampire that he had met on his travels. But to Amisty, it didn't only ward off vampires, it warded off her as well, she could hardly stand sitting in his room, let alone go up to him.

-=+=-

Amisty and Hermione sat in the Great Hall together, chatting quietly. Echo flew into the hall gracefully, her brown and white feathers ruffled by wind, quickly lighting down on Amisty's plate lightly.

"Good thing I didn't put any food on there yet," Amisty thought, running her fingers down the tawny owl's head gently.

"Hello Echo!" Hermione smiled, giving her a small morsel of toast from her plate.

"You're going to make her fat if you keep feeding her like that!" Amisty exclaimed, slapping Hermione's hand away and allowing Echo to climb up her arm and perch on her shoulder.

Hermione laughed lightly, biting a apple.

"Find anything interesting yet?" Hermione asked, peering over Amisty's shoulder.

"Not really, unless you want to try turning a stick into a knife?" She replied, looking at Hermione with a joking glint in her eyes.

"Maybe some other time," Hermione chuckled, going back to eating her strawberries.

"We have Potions today, right?" Amisty questioned after swallowing the piece of toast she had been chewing.

"Yeah, with the Slytherins, I believe," Hermione nodded. Amisty sighed inwardly before sending Echo back to the owlery.

-=+=-

Harry had finally explained to Amisty why he got so many stares and other things like that, so when Professor Snape started roll call and paused at Harry's name, she barely cared anymore.

That is, until she heard the sarcasm dripping with each syllable.

She glared at Malfoy and his goons, who were laughing quietly behind their hands, Ron wasn't lying when he said that Snape favored his house.

"I don't expect you to will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate mind, ensnaring the senses.... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death.... if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach," Snape spoke, his voice echoing in Amisty's ears even though he had barely spoken louder than a whisper.