Assisting An Innocent: Year 3

Wind rushed past, cutting right through Amisty's raven hair and tangling it into knots. Adrenaline coursed through her veins and her eyes watered slightly as she fought to keep them open.

Buckbeak's wings were almost silent, only occasionally making a muffled noise as they rose up higher and higher to the upper levels of the castle.

They turned, "Whoa!" Harry shouted, and the hippogriff slowed, their only movements being the gentle rocking of up and down.

She much preferred this over the carts in Gringotts.

"He's there!" Harry exclaimed, leaning off the side and tapping on one of the many windows.

Amisty peered through, watching as Sirius's eyes widened, jaw dropped, and attempted to open the window.

It didn't budge.

"Stand back!" Hermione called, pulling out her wand and tightening her grip on Amisty. "Alohomora!"

The window opened with a soft click.

"How -- how -- ?" Sirius stammered, staring at them with wide eyes and then staring at the hippogriff.

"Get on -- there's not much time. You've got to get out of here -- the dementors are coming -- Macnair's gone to get them," Harry replied.

Sirius climbed out easily, his poor eating habits for once being helpful, and slid onto Buckbeak behind them all.

"Okay, Buckbeak, up! Up to the tower -- come on!" Harry was clearly worried about how much time they had, and Buckbeak seemed to sense that.

They rose up quickly, just as high as the West Tower. They landed with a clatter, and the three students slid off.

"Sirius you'd better go, quick. They'll reach Flitwick's office any moment, they'll find out you're gone," Harry panted.

"What happened to the other boy? Ron?" Sirius asked, his voice still brittle and creaky.

"He'll heal. Not awake just yet, but Madame Pomfrey's taking care of him, she knows what to do," Amisty replied quickly. They were running out of time. "You really need to leave -- "

"How can I ever thank -- "He started.

"GO!" The three of them shouted.

Sirius turned Buckbeak around, turning to face them once more, "We'll see each other again. You are -- truly your father's son, Harry..."

And with that, he kicked off into the air and disappeared into the night sky once a cloud blocked the light of the moon.

Harry stared after him, his eyes glazed over slightly and his attention so far gone both Hermione and Amisty were tugging on his sleeves before he noticed them.

"HARRY!" They yelled, shaking him roughly.

He blinked, shocked, and then looked over at them, confused.

"We've got exactly ten minutes to get back down to the hospital wing without anybody seeing us -- before Dumbledore locks the door -- " Hermione rushed out her words, checking her watch.

"Okay, let's go..." He gave the open window one last glance before trudging out the door and down the spiral staircase.

A few steps before the end, Amisty picked up voice.

She threw her arms out, stopping her friends in their tracks, and all three of them pressed against the wall.

"...only hope Dumbledore's not going to make difficulties. The Kiss will be performed immediately?"