Giants: Year 4

Boxing Day came, bringing with it a common room full of sleepy Gryffindors and both Hermione and Amisty back to their normal hair. She was rather disappointed, huffing as she wrangled a brush through her curls. It had been nice, not having to worry about it getting snagged on absolutely everything within five feet for once.

Her bad mood was lifted, however, at the arrival of a certain someone's letter.

Dear Amisty,

I've finally confirmed my suspicions in your shifting. I think it's time I've told you what I think. Is there any chance we could set up a meeting before term starts up again? It's important that it's in person, as there's no way for you to learn this on your own.

Write back as soon as you can, Draco

Itching with curiosity, she pulled out her quill and scribbled out a reply.

Dear Draco,

I believe the days before term could work. It's really nice that you've spent your time trying to figure this out, Draco, even if the bracelet can get infuriating sometimes. I'll see you then, I suppose? Oh, and I really did enjoy that dance. No matter how awful I am at ballroom dancing.

Thank you, for everything, Amisty

-=+=-

The day of their meeting came much slower than Amisty wished, and when it finally did she was racing through the hallways down to the abandoned classroom, her hair flying out behind her.

Shoving the door open, she barreled inside, almost colliding with Draco's chest.

Well, kind of. He was leaning against the teacher's desk, legs crossed, and straightened when she quite loudly burst in. He steadied her, smirking, eyebrow quirked.

"Someone's eager," He commented, platinum blond hair styled impeccably as always.

"You haven't told me anything about what you've learned. Of course, I'm eager!" She retorted, shoving him and laughing.

"Well," He shifted to the side and gestured to the free space next to him, "let me show you."

She jumped up next to him, leaning on his shoulder as she looked over the set of notes in his lap.

"Your transformations are triggered by negative emotion," He pointed down at his familiar penmanship, pointing out the moments just before she had shifted.

He was right. They were all bad memories.

She bit her lip, upset by the fact that the connection to her mother was also tainted with that fact. He sensed her discomfort, gently squeezing her shoulder.

"If you can learn how to concentrate certain memories and then emotions when you want to shift I think you'll be able to do it on command."

"Can I try now?" She asked, already jumping off her perch on the desk. "I think I understand what you mean."

"Just... be careful. I'm not entirely certain if I'm correct and I don't want to surface bad memories -- " He began, but she was quick to silence him with a look.

"I know, I know. I'm not going to burst into tears, there's no need for you to be so worried," Her hands were on her hips, one eyebrow raised.

His lip twitched, "Alright. Go stand in the middle of the room and start with a less extreme memory, I want to see how far you'll have to go."