Polyjuice Potion: Year 2

Dinner arrived much too soon for Amisty's liking.

She was tense as soon as she walked into the Great Hall. The Christmas carolling led by Dumbledore and Percy's bewitched 'Pinhead' badge had done their share in calming her down, but it wasn't enough to rid all of her nerves.

Hermione was just as stiff, dragging the three of them out of the hall just as they had finished.

"We still need a bit of the people you're changing into. And obviously, it'll be best if you can get something of Crabbe and Goyle's; they're Malfoy's best friends, he'll tell them anything. And we also need to make sure the real Crabbe and Goyle can't burst in on us while we're interrogating him," She explained, continuing without a beat as she pulled out two identical chocolate cakes. "I've got it all worked out. I've filled these with a simple Sleeping Draught. All you have to do is make sure Crabbe and Goyle find them. You know how greedy they are, they're bound to eat them. Once they're asleep, pull out a few of their hairs and hide them in a broom closet."

"Hermione, I don't think -- " Harry started, with Ron's, "That could go seriously wrong -- " overlapping.

"The potion will be useless without Crabbe's and Goyle's hair. You do want to investigate Malfoy, don't you?" She replied, brown eyes steely.

"Oh, alright, alright. But what about you two? Whose hair are you ripping out?" Harry asked, sighing in a mixture of disgust and defeat.

"I've already got mine!" Hermione smiled, pulling out a bottle from her robes with a hair inside it. "Remember Millicent Bulstrode wrestling with me at the Dueling Club? She left this on my robes when she was trying to strangle me! And she's gone home for Christmas -- so I'll just have to tell the Slytherins I've decided to come back."

"And you?" Ron asked Amisty, raising an eyebrow.

"The potion won't work with me, so I'll be following along as a wolf," She shrugged, giving a mischievous sort of grin.

Hermione ran off to check on the potion, insisting Amisty help the boys in case they messed something up.

The second her robes disappeared from vision, Ron turned to the both of them, "Have you ever heard of a plan where so many things could go wrong?"

Amisty laughed lightly and led them toward the entrance hall.

It was very slowly emptying out, and soon enough Crabbe and Goyle were the only two left in the Great Hall.

The boys balanced the two cakes Hermione had provided on the banister and then, once their targets left, hid behind a suit of armor.

"How thick can you get?" Ron asked quietly, a bright glow in his blue eyes as they watched them pick up the cakes and shove them into their mouths.

Within seconds, they fell to the ground, asleep. The three of them hurried toward the unconscious figures, dragging them along the floor and into a closet by the hall.

It was harder than they had expected. They were as heavy as they looked, but they did it. Harry grabbed a stub of Goyle's hair, and Ron from Crabbe, and Amisty picked up their shoes, wrinkling her nose.

Holding one hand over her mouth to keep from breathing in the foul stench, she gestured desperately for Harry and Ron to hurry.

They got her hint, thankfully, and they rushed up to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

When Amisty opened the door she could barely make out anything through the black smoke that pumped from the stall with the cauldron.

"Hermione?" She asked, knocking on the door and suppressing a cough as the smoke flooded her lungs.