High Inquisitor: Year 5

"Hey," Harry was waiting by the fire as Amisty walked back into the common room. "Just got back from detention?"

"Yeah," She replied breathlessly, heart pounding.

"C'mere."

He scooted to the side, opening up space for her to sit next to him. She took it, immediately wrapping her arms around his neck.

He smoothed down her hair gently, "She's a wicked woman, Am, don't let her get to you."

"She... she -- "

"I know," Harry whispered, untangling himself from her with careful movements and holding up his right hand.

Amisty couldn't stifle her gasp in time.

In Harry's familiar messy scrawl, scarred across his hand in silvery white, were the words: I must not tell lies.

"Harry..." She murmured, running her thumb across them. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't think she'd be doing it to anyone else," He admitted, examining her own hand. Her own penmanship wasn't as deep as his, but it was visible. "I don't know how she thinks this is going to make you pipe down, though."

She couldn't even manage to fake a smile. "I have to go back tomorrow evening."

"Do you want me to wait up for you?"

Her hesitation is enough of an answer.

Harry smiles faintly, "It hurts less as you go on, as ridiculous as that sounds."

She rests her head against his shoulder, relieved to feel she wasn't quivering. His arm goes around her shoulders and she sinks into the familiar comfort.

"Hey, you gotta get up to your dormitory before you fall asleep," He teased, nudging her with his elbow after a few minutes of silence passed. "I'll never hear the end of it if, and Malfoy's already enough of a pain."

Amisty rolled her eyes, "Thanks for finding such a polite way of saying 'I'm kicking you off the couch.'"

"You're welcome," He grinned. "Good night, Am."

"'Night."

-=+=-

Hermione gasped, flattening out the Daily Prophet with eyes as big as saucers.

Ministry Seeks Educational Reform

Dolores Umbridge Appointed First-Ever "High Inquisitor"

"'High Inquisitor'? What does that mean?" Harry hissed, his toast slipping out of his fingers.

Hermione took a deep breath, "In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"'The Minister has been growing uneasy about goings-on at Hogwarts for some time,' said Junior Assistant to the Minister, Percy Weasley. 'He is now responding to some concerns voiced by anxious parents, who feel the school may be moving in a direction they do not approve.'

"This is not the first time in recent weeks Fudge has used new laws to effect improvements at the Wizarding school. As recently as August 30th Educational Decree Twenty-two h was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.