Mistletoe: Year 2

The ceiling of the Great Hall was covered in holly and mistletoe streamers, with frosted Christmas trees lining the halls.

A few fluffy flakes of enchanted snow drifted down, bringing with it a faint smile on Amisty's face. It was radiating warmth, not a hint of wetness as they fell to the ground.

The four friends took their place at the Gryffindor table, almost empty other than the other Weasleys, with Harry across from Amisty with Ron at his side.

Hermione was next to her, pouring them each a glass of water while they chatted. That's when the barred owl flew in.

It was a graceful landing, wrapping its talons around the top of Amisty's chair and dropping a rectangular package on her lap and then soaring off.

"Um... thank you!" She called after it, looking up and then back down to the gift in her lap. Unwrapping the neat golden paper and holding up the ear cuff within it up to the light.

It was small, elegant, with a gold band that crisscrossed in a simple pattern. She wouldn't have been too shocked with it if she hadn't seen it before.

It had been her mother's.

"What's that, Am?" Harry asked, leaning over to her.

She fought down her grin at the new nickname and handed the jewelry to him.

"It was my mother's, I don't know who's owl that was, though," She replied, her gaze shifting up to where the owl had flown out, wondering who had sent it.

"Maybe a someone found it," Harry offered, giving it back to her with a kind smile.

She nodded.

"It couldn't be a student.... There's no way anyone could get this without breaking the law," Amisty pondered, tapping her chin.

Harry shifted closer to her, getting a better look. He opened his mouth to wonder with her when Ron interrupted him.

"Oi, you two. Look up," He nudged Harry with his elbow, pointing up the ceiling.

Just as their luck would have it, there was a knot of mistletoe hanging right above their heads, white berries seeming to almost glow in mockery.

It was unintelligible who went redder at his find, Amisty or Harry.

Hermione, after giving Amisty an apologetic glance, burst out laughing.

"Oh, go on. It doesn't have to be a proper kiss, you're practically brother and sister anyways," She waved her hand, only slightly pausing in her laughter at Amisty's death glare and then it starting back up again.

"Are you okay with it?" Harry asked gently, his voice hushed so their ridiculous friends couldn't overhear them.

"I mean... I guess," She shrugged discreetly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ears as her blush grew darker. "Are you?"

"As long as you won't be bothered about it. If we get it over with now we won't have to do it ever again," He pointed out, a smile tugging on the edge of his mouth.

"That's true," She nodded, looking up at him.

With a 'get on with it' motion from Ron, Harry leaned forward and pressed a timid kiss to Amisty's forehead.

By now it was very clear that she had won the blushing contest.

When he pulled away the two of them traded embarrassed looks and then turned to their friends.

"Happy?" Harry asked, blind to the obvious and blatant disappointment on Ron's face.

"One word about how it wasn't enough and I'll make sure your wand isn't the only thing that's broken," Amisty warned before he opened his mouth.