Hermione And The House-Elves: Year 4

They left the carriage and practically teleported inside the castle at the speed they raced inside.

The welcoming torch-lit sight of the entrance hall brought with it the warmth of the castle as well as the familiar sight of the massive marble staircase.

"Blimey, if that keeps up the lake's going to overflow," Ron shook out his hair, water splashing everywhere. "I'm soak -- ARRGH!"

A gigantic red water balloon had just fallen onto Ron's head and burst, drenching him in icy cold water.

Another barely missed Hermione, soaking Harry's shoes. The entrance hall erupted into shrieks and everyone fought to get out of the way of the water balloon attacks.

Amisty nearly fell flat on her face, only for Hermione to straighten her quickly. She glared upwards, catching sight of Peeves about twenty feet above them, arms filled with water balloons.

"PEEVES! Peeves, come down here at ONCE!" Professor McGonagall came storming out of the Great Hall, almost slipping if she hadn't grabbed Hermione to keep herself from falling. "Ouch -- sorry, Miss Granger -- "

"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione gasped, rubbing her neck.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" Professor McGonagall shouted, straightening her hat and glaring up at the Poltergeist.

"Not doing nothing! Already wet, aren't they?" Peeves cackled, chucking a water balloon at a group of fifth-year girls, who promptly screaming and ran into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts? Wheeeeeeeee!" he threw another at a group of second-years.

"I shall call the headmaster! I'm warning you, Peeves -- " Professor McGonagall fumed.

Peeves just stuck out his tongue, launched the rest of the water balloons into the air, and flew away cackling.

Amisty almost chased after him as one of the stupid balloons fell right on top of her head.

"Well, move along, then! Into the Great Hall, come on!" Professor McGonagall directed them, clearly annoyed as she ushered them into the Great Hall.

Amisty split her hair into two sections, wringing out as much water as she could.

Even still, water dripped down her back. Not as if that were that big of a deal, her clothes were already drenched anyway.

The Great Hall was a happy sight to see, the golden plates and goblets shining in the light of the floating candles. Amisty caught a wink from Draco as she walked past his table, and she attempted to toss her hair over her shoulder to counter, only for it to fall limply in front of her face.

So much for sass.

They took their seats at the Gryffindor table, next to Nearly Headless Nick.

"Good evening," He beamed at them.

"Says who?" Harry grumbled, turning his shoes upside down to drain all the water out of them. "Hope they hurry up with the Sorting. I'm starving."

"Hiya, Harry!" Colin's familiar voice sounded from down the table, just as excited as he always was. Amisty and Hermione traded amused glances.

"Hi, Colin," Harry replied, not sounding excited at all.

"Harry, guess what? Guess what, Harry? My brother's starting! My brother Dennis!" Colin grinned.

"Er -- good," Harry nodded awkwardly.

"He's really excited. I just hope he's in Gryffindor! Keep your fingers crossed, eh, Harry?" Colin was bouncing up and down.

"Er -- yeah, all right," Harry, with the same level of awkwardness, turned back to them. "Brothers and sisters usually go in the same Houses, don't they?"