The Sorting: Year 1

Amisty stared up at the witch who opened the door, slightly wary of the stern look she directed at all the first years.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid smiled, gesturing to the group with a sweep of his arm.

"Thank you Hagrid, I'll take them from here," She nodded at him, before pulling the door open with a creak.

Amisty's jaw dropped, and she heard a small 'wow' from Hermione, who was standing next to her.

The sight before her was amazing. A massive hallway, covered in flaming torches and grand marble staircases greeted the group of eleven-year-olds.

Amisty could barely take her eyes off of the magnificent sight, until Hermione gave her a light tap on the shoulder, and the two walked together, following the crowd. Amisty covered her ears as sound flooded out of a hallway, louder than it should have been.

It died down quickly, however, as Professor McGonagall sent a glance her way, waving her wand in a silent spell.

Amisty smiled her thanks, and the Professor nodded. Amisty followed along quickly, as everyone piled into a small, dank room, lit dimly by one torch. She listened as Professor McGonagall explained the rules of Hogwarts, and then left with a tip to clean yourself up a bit.

'I would really like to get into Gryffindor, but I suppose Ravenclaw doesn't sound too bad,' Amisty thought, adjusting her cloak and robes quickly.

She sent a quick glance in Harry's direction, spotting him having a conversation with Ron, his face turning pale.

'I hope it isn't bad, Harry's as pale as a ghost,' Her brow furrowed, until her attention was snatched away as she saw real ghosts float by, having their own little conversations.

A small yelp escaped her throat, only muffled as she slammed her hand over her mouth. Amisty watched as a ghost wearing tights looked at the first years with interest.

"New students!" The ghost exclaim, "About to be sorted, I suppose?"

Amisty nodded hesitantly, her mind whirling. Real life ghosts, actual real life ghosts.

"Move along now, the Sorting Ceremony is about to start!" A voice scolded, hurrying the ghosts into the wall.

"Form a line now, there we go, follow me," Professor McGonagall ordered, herding the first years into the main hall in a neat, single file line.

Amisty looked around the Great Hall, amazement clear on her face. She had never seen such beautiful things in her life. She nearly tripped, a result of not watching where she was going and her foot hit the stair. Gladly Hermione steadied her before she could fall on her face.

"Thanks!" She whispered, blushing slightly

"Don't mention it!" Hermione replied softly.

They had stopped walking, everyone's eyes in the hall trained on the first years, Amisty was extremely nervous, her hands fidgeting.

She watched as Professor McGonagall dragged a small stool in front of the group, and placed a frayed, dirty looking wizard hat on top.

The green-eyed girl looked around, confused about what were they waiting for. When the hat began to sing, she nearly jumped out of her skin.

Pink flushed to her cheeks, and she was incredibly glad that everyone's eyes were on the hat and not her.

That is, until she noticed Fred or George Weasley looking at her, she couldn't quite tell the difference yet. There was a sparkle of laughter in his brown eyes.