Colin Creevey: Year 2

"Five to a tray -- there is a large supply of pots here -- compost in sacks over there -- and be careful of the Venomous Tentacula, it's teething," Professor Sprout whacked a dark red plant sharply, forcing it to take back it's feelers that had been wrapping around her shoulder.

Amisty, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were all crowded around a tray when a Hufflepuff boy joined them, smiling brightly.

="Justin Finch-Fletchley. Know who you are, of course, the famous Harry Potter... And you're Hermione Granger -- always top in everything," He shook their hands as he said their names. "Oh, you're Amisty River, the only one who can leave Draco Malfoy speechless," Amisty grinned, blushing, "-- and Ron Weasley. Wasn't that your flying car?"

=Ron didn't look too pleased at the mention of the car.

Amisty thought back to the Howler. That was probably what kept him from smiling.

="That Lockhart's something, isn't he? Awfully brave chap. Have you read his books? I'd have died of fear if I'd been cornered in a telephone booth by a werewolf, but he stayed cool and -- zap -- just fantastic," Justin, unfazed by Ron's unhappy reaction, started to fill their pots with dragon dung compost. "My name was down for Eton, you know. I can't tell you how glad I am I came here instead. Of course, Mother was slightly disappointed, but since I made her read Lockhart's books I think she's begun to see how useful it'll be to have a fully trained wizard in the family..."

It wasn't long before their conversation ceased and they had to put their earmuffs back on.

Amisty turned her attention onto her Mandrake, quickly learning that it wasn't as effortless as Professor Sprout had made it seem.

She tugged one out of the dark soil, to the Mandrake's fury. It struggled in her grip, kicking and punching and biting at her.

She shoved it into her pot with much struggle, turning to the next one and dreading it already.

Class ended with her covered in dirt, tired, and sweaty. Following after the rest of her class, she plodded up to the castle to wash up and then down to Transfiguration.

Amisty had always enjoyed Transfiguration, and she was glad to see that she hadn't forgotten too much over the summer.

They were to turn beetles into buttons, and by the end of class her and Hermione had managed to produce a small pile of coat buttons.

"Wonderful job, girls," Professor McGonagall praised them, her green eyes twinkling slightly.

The two of them traded grins, high-fiving beneath the table. When the lunch bell rang, they walked down to lunch.

As they ate, Hermione showed the boys their little pile of buttons. Neither looked happy.

"What've we got this afternoon?" Harry asked, sensing the tension between Ron and Hermione and changing subjects.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts," Hermione answered instantly.

Amisty looked up, giving her a question look. Her reply was just a sheepish shrug.

Ron grabbed her schedule, looking at it and then back to her.

"Why have you outlined all of Lockhart's lessons in little hearts?" He asked sharply.

Hermione went red, grabbing it back and stuffing it away.

Amisty hid her laughter with a coughing fit, earning an amused smile from Harry.

Lunch ended, and they all went outside to the courtyard. The sky was the same cloudy grey from the morning.

Hermione took a seat on the steps, diving right back into Voyages with Vampires yet again.