The Unicorn: Year 1

If walking behind her fuming friend wasn't bad enough, Harry and Neville's worried faces sparked a flame of guilt in Amisty.

She desperately tried to give them an apologetic look, but they didn't see it. They were too busy glaring daggers at the platinum haired boy ahead of her.

"We'll be lucky ter catch anythin' now, with the racket you two were makin'. Right, we're changin' groups -- Amisty, you'll be with Harry and Fang. Malfoy, yer stuck with me." Hagrid announced, clearly unhappy with the circumstances.

Amisty nodded, glad to be rid of the pain in her side.

Harry sent her a small grin, and she lost a bit of her guilt.

At least she wasn't with an idiot this time.

Fang at her heel, she ventured further into the forest with Harry. As they trekked on, the path became less and less clear, the tree's slowly becoming thicker and closer together.

Amisty felt trapped and claustrophobic, like the shadows were creatures waiting to hunt her down. It wasn't a nice feeling.

Not a nice feeling at all. Her back was curved in a defensive position, her body overtaken with a sense of caution.

The silvery-white blood seemed to be getting thicker, adding to fear she felt.

"Look -- " Harry whispered, making Amisty stumble a bit as she ran into his outstretched arm.

He held a finger to his lips, warning her to be quiet, before pointing to the clearing ahead of them.

Amisty could barely make it out through the tree's, but an eerie glow shone through the branches. The two inched closer, and the green-eyed girl's breath caught in her throat at the sight.

A beautiful white unicorn lay splayed on the ground, it's long legs bent at unnatural angles and its mane stark against the dark forest floor. The silvery-white blood gushed from the gory slash in the poor animal's flank.

Harry was seemingly transfixed at the sight, and Amisty was too in shock to keep him from walking closer.

She froze at the swooshing of a cloak on leaves, and she opened her mouth to call out a warning, but Harry had already heard it. He stopped in his tracks, and the two watched in blatant horror as the same black, hooded figure appeared from the shadows.

When the figure reached the unicorn, it's head lowered to the innocent creatures side. Amisty felt a painful pricking behind her eyes at the sight, and she held a hand over her mouth to muffle a cry.

She desperately tried to run away, but her feet were glued in place. The figure started to drink the unicorn's blood, and that was when Amisty lost it.

A loud wail escaped her mouth, and Harry whirled around to face her, horror stricken. Fang bolted, and Amisty watched, frozen in place as the figure raised its head to stare at Harry, the blood dripping from it's mouth.

Terror flooded through her as Harry stumbled back, the figure walking almost leisurely toward him. Harry fell to his knees, clutching his head.

Her ears picked up the thumping of hooves, and she threw herself to the ground, gaze captivated by a white haired centaur leaping over her friend. It charged at the hooded figure, brandishing it's hooves wildly.

The figure turned away quickly and slithered away into the forest.

"Are you alright?" The centaur asked, helping Harry to his feet, before walking, trotting, to Amisty, and picking her up from the ground as well.