A Ball?: Year 4

"Potter! Weasley!" Professor McGonagall snapped, annoyed, her eyes flashing as she stood in front of her desk. "Will you pay attention?"

Amisty bit back her 'I told you so.'

Instead, she settled with a self-satisfied smile and a high five under the table with Hermione in plain view of the two boys sitting behind them.

In return, she earned two flicks to the back of her head.

It was the end of their Transfiguration lesson (turning guinea fowl into guinea pigs), their homework ('Describe, with examples, the ways in which Transfiguration Spells must be adapted when performing Cross-Species Switches'), yes, but Professor McGonagall had clearly stated she had an announcement to make once she had locked up all their guinea pigs.

Well, a few guinea pigs, and a few hybrids.

"Now that Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age..."

The head of Harry's haddock (he and Ron had been fighting with two of Fred and George's fake wands) fell to the ground. Amisty bit back a laugh.

"I have something to say to you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching -- a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above -- although you may invite a younger student if you wish -- "

Lavender giggled loudly, her and Parvati's gaze firmly directed at Harry as they struggled to keep quiet.

Harry looked completely oblivious to the blatant hints they were throwing.

"Dress robes will be worn and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall," Professor McGonagall ignored them, casting a strong gaze around the class. "Now then -- The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to -- er -- let our hair down."

Lavender giggled again, her hand over her mouth to stifle it.

"But that does NOT mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

And the bell rang, and they all gathered their things to leave.

"Potter -- a word if you please," Professor McGonagall called.

"Let's go, probably something to do with the Tournament," Hermione commented to Amisty and Ron, and the three of them left the room.

-=+=-

With the announcement of the Yule Ball, it was very entertaining to see Harry being flocked by girls almost every time he turned the corridor.

A third-year, a second-year, and a fifth-year.

Amisty was struggling to keep from spilling to Harry that he wasn't just a nobody in the magical world. In fact, he was possibly the most sought-after boy in Hogwarts, judging by the frigid glares she kept getting from girls whenever she was within five inches of him.

As if she would be going to the Yule Ball with him.

"Harry," She had said during one of their meetings before bed, sitting next to each other by the fire in the common room, "who do you want to go to the Yule Ball with?"

He had blushed quite a bit, scratching the back of his neck and running a hand through his already messy hair.

Three signs of embarrassment all rolled up in one.