Back To Normal: Year 1

Amisty was perched on the top of a gurney, her claws digging into the soft blanket, leaving little imprints in the cloth.

It had only been a day and she was already restless. Madame Pomfrey was sitting at her desk, sending occasional glances at the she-wolf as she went through her work. She set her eyes on the gurney right next to where she was sitting, measuring the distance mentally and bracing her back legs for the leap.

She was about to jump when.

"Don't you dare!" Madame Pomfrey scolded, her sudden appearance sending Amisty stumbling to the ground in a pile of limbs and fur.

She regained her composure in record time, stomping her left leg on the ground and letting out a cross bark at the healer.

"I don't want to hear it!" She held up her hand, and the sound of flipping pages reached Amisty's ears.

The green-eyed wolf padded over to the witch, pointing with her muzzle to the book she held securely in her hands.

"I've been talking to Professor McGonagall," She explained, closing the book and showing the cover to the wolf. "She believes she's found a way to bring you back to normal."

Her ears pricked at the good news and without realizing it her tail wagged from side to side steadily.

Madame Pomfrey walked over to the gurney the troublemaker had tried to jump from, taking a seat and patting a spot next to her.

The she-wolf took the hint and scrambled up, her hind legs scratching against the metal for a moment before she hauled herself up properly. The healer flipped open the book to a marked page, shifting it over slightly it to the right in order for her to see.

It was a photo album, filled to the brim of pictures of a black wolf, a green-eyed woman, and a tall, blonde man. Amisty felt a tug on her heartstrings as she gazed at the photos, a sense of familiarity rushing through her veins.

"These are your parents. That's Echo, your mother," Madame Pomfrey pointed to the woman and wolf, before shifting to the man, "And that's your father, Noel."

She blinked, a strange feeling at the back of her throat. Her eyes stung, and that's when she realized.

She was crying.

"They loved you very much, Amisty. I'm positive they would be so proud if they saw you right now," The witch smiled, pausing at a page covered in the couple smiling brightly, the faintest hint of a baby bump on Echo's belly.

They grinned up at them, waving enthusiastically.

Amisty had prided herself on both her physical and mental strength, and yet there she was, on the verge of tears.

"Once you're back, I want you to take this. Learn about your parents, even though you can't meet them in person," She closed the book gently, a slight wisp of dust floating off and up into the air.

The green-eyed wolf nodded, a tear running down her cheek and disappearing into her fur. She got to her feet, getting up and placing the book at the foot of Amisty's bed.

"Madame Pomfrey, are you ready?" Professor McGonagall's voice sounded from the entryway, making the she-wolf jump slightly.

She quickly pawed at her eyes, blinking away any remaining tears.

"Yes. Amisty, would you come over here?" The healer motioned for her to come to the two witch's side.

Professor McGonagall looked down at her, a reassuring look on her face. She padded toward them, tucking her paws behind her tail nearly and gazing up.

Maybe as she grew this form would grow too? The Professor pulled out her wand from her robes.

"Lupus Estaria," Her voice was confident and completely steady as she twirled her wand in a loop.

Amisty felt herself being lifted off the ground into the air, her fur floating around her. She watched with wide eyes as Professor McGonagall continued the looping movements with her wand until a bright white flash blinded everyone in the room.

The light faded slowly, leaving a very confused and disoriented human Amisty was lying on the ground in front of them. The black-haired girl looked around, her green eyes puzzled but bright as always.

She looked down at her hands, at her feet, and then up at her teachers.

"Am I back to normal?" She asked raspily, not quite ready to accept the reality of being human once again.

"You are," Professor McGonagall nodded, holding out her hand to help the girl to her feet.

She took it gratefully, doing a slight spin.

"Can I go back to the common room?" She lifted her head, her hope to see her friends again clear in her eyes.

"Feel free, don't forget your belongings," Madame Pomfrey smiled slightly, pointing over to the small mound at the foot of the bed.

With a bright spark in her eyes and smile on her face, she scooped all the items in her arms and walked out of the healing wing, saying her thanks to the older witches as she passed.

The hallways were relatively empty with the cold keeping everyone locked in their common rooms. Rumor has it that the Slytherin's had their common room in the dungeons.

Hopefully Malfoy was well on the way of becoming an ice sculpture.

Her footsteps seemed much louder than they used to be. Maybe it had something to do with the empty hallways. Or maybe it was a side effect of being a wolf only moments before. Her arms were wrapped tightly around the photo album protectively, hugging it to her chest.

Murmuring the password to the portrait and crawling into the common room was was more overwhelming than she was expecting.

"AMISTY!" Hermione shrieked, a whirl of brown hair barrelling towards the green-eyed girl.

"Hermione!" Amisty grinned, not dropping her tight hold on the photo album.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Hermione smiled, throwing her arms around her friend in an embrace.

Harry and Ron appeared a few seconds later, Hermione's smile mirrored on their faces.

"Welcome to the human world," Harry teased, his green eyes sparkling with suppressed jubilation.

"Yeah, yeah," She rolled her eyes, punching him on the shoulder lightly.

It felt good to be back to normal and have her friends understand what she was saying.

"Fred and George sneaked some food from the kitchen for you, we thought you might be hungry since you never got lunch," Ron piped up, handing her an apple and two slices of bread.

She took it gratefully, her smile getting even wider.

"Sorry it's not much," The red-head scratched back of his head awkwardly as if the action wasn't kind enough.

"Thank you," She replied, slipping the apple into her robes and nibbling on the edge of the bread.

Stifling with a yawn with her hand, she tried to blink away her tiredness to no avail.

"You should get some rest, I don't think you got a wink of sleep in the healing wing," Hermione fixed her with her warm brown gaze, her voice tinted with an order.

Amisty opened her mouth to protest, "Bu-"

"Don't even start. Go," She replied harshly, pointing at the staircase leading up to the girls dormitory.

Glancing at the two boys, who both nodded, she grumbled internally and trudged up to her room.

Moonlight shined through the arched window, sending a ghostly silver glow into the room. Throwing herself onto her bed, she tugged the covers over her and closed her eyes. Sleep soon overtook her, dreamless and peaceful.