Back 'Home': Year 1

Amisty was in a bitter mood.

The Great Hall was adorned with silver and green, the colors of Slytherin, to celebrate their win of the House Cup.

She pushed her food around her plate, her chin resting against her hand.

A hush fell over the room as Harry walked in, and she barely raised her head to look at him as he slid into the seat between Hermione and Ron.

Soon enough the silence was diminished as everyone started talking at once. She could barely bring herself to smile at Harry, too distraught over their loss.

If only they hadn't been caught setting Norbert free.

"Another year gone!" Professor Dumbledore announced, his merry voice carrying over the room and quieting the banter. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before the next year starts... Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with two hundred and sixty-two points;" at this, Amisty cringed in her seat, "in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."

A loud cheer and banging sounded from across the room. Slytherin. Amisty turned her head, spotting Malfoy thumping his goblet on the table.

She groaned inwardly, hiding her face in her hands.

"Yes. yes, well done, Slytherin. However, recent events must be take into account," He continued.

Amisty lifted her head slightly, a wave of curiosity seeping into her veins. Was it possible? Silence soon followed, grins faded.

"Ahem. I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes... First -- to Mr. Ronald Weasley..."

Amisty sat up suddenly, hope flaring up in her chest. The Slytherin's grins faded further.

    "...for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."

A loud roar erupted from the Gryffindor table.

Flooding the room with noise. It was almost deafening. Amisty was glad Hermione had reminded her to take her potion that afternoon.

"Second, to Miss Amisty River... for continuing on with her friends even after facing injury, I award Gryffindor House fifty points,"

She felt her face grow hot with embarrassment, a wide smile spreading across her face.

It was blinding, her eyes glowing to the same extent.

Ron thumped her on the back, his grin mirroring her own in brightness.

"Third -- to Miss Hermione Granger... for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."

Amisty let out a yell of triumph, squeezing Hermione in a spine-crushing hug as the girl buried her head into her arms.

"We're a hundred points up," Harry whispered softly, looking at her with a grin.

"And to Mr. Harry Potter..."

The room fell silent once more, the tension so high it was a wonder nothing had broken.
"...for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House sixty points."

She leaped to her feet, yelling even as her throat grew scratchy.

Dumbledore lifted his hand. It seemed to take hours for the roar to dull back down.