More Fuel To The Fire: Year 2

"Excellent idea!" Professor Lockhart beamed, stepping back so Harry and Malfoy could get on the stage. "Now, Harry. When Draco points his wand at you, you do this."

He raised his wand, fiddling with it and then dropping it with a clatter.

Amisty stifled a snort.

"Whoops -- my wand is a little overexcited -- " He smiled, a faint tinge of pink on his cheeks.

Snape leaned toward Malfoy, whispering something in his ear.

For the first time Amisty couldn't hear their conversation. She strained her ears, focusing intently, for only a few unintelligible words to reach her.

Her head ached, the remnants of Pansy's spell had not quite disappeared apparently.

Clearly Draco knew she could easily eavesdrop on them, as he looked at her attentive face with a poorly hidden sneer.

"Professor, could you show me that blocking thing again?" Harry asked nervously, a wan smile on his face.

"Scared, Potter?" Malfoy asked.

This time Amisty could hear him, though a sharp pain rocketed through her skull and she winced slightly.

"You wish," Harry hissed back.

She dragged her attention elsewhere, her head starting to throb.

"Just do what I did, Harry!" Lockhart grinned, squeezing his shoulder lightly with a cheerful tone.

"What, drop my wand?" Harry asked, bewildered and not at all ready for the duel that was about to commence.

"Three -- two -- one -- go!" Lockhart shouted, Harry's words either going unnoticed or he didn't care.

"Serpensortia!" Draco raised his wand and there was a loud bang.

A long coal black snake shot out of the end, raising up, fangs bared.

Amisty scrambled backward from the stage in surprise, almost crashing into Pansy but catching herself in time.

Loud screams echoed around the room and the crowd surged back.

"Don't move, Potter. I'll get rid of it..." Snape spoke slowly, deliberately, as if he didn't care that there was a snake pursuing a student.

"Allow me!" Lockhart protested, taking a massive confident step toward the snake and waving his wand.

Unsurprisingly, the snake didn't disappear. Instead it went flying up into the air and then hitting the floor with a smack.

It wasn't very happy either, shown by how it slithered toward Justin Finch-Fletchley, furious, and raised up yet again, this time ready to strike.

Harry immediately started toward it, eyes narrowed.

When he opened his mouth, a strange combination of carrying hisses left his lips.

Amisty stiffened immediately, it was a dark, mysterious. The hairs on the back of her neck rose and she felt her guard go up.

Harry was a Parselmouth?

She traded shocked and terrified looks with Hermione, whose jaw had dropped.

The two of them had read about them their first year, but they had never given it much thought. It just didn't seem like anyone they would ever meet would posses the rare ability.

The entire room had fallen silent, an aura of unease heavy in the air. Harry looked up, smiling widely at Justin, who looked horrified and a smidge livid.