Colin's Been Petrified: Year 2

Amisty was rather surprised when, while she was sitting on the edge of her bed reading through one of Lockhart's books and trying to find actually valuable information, there was a sharp tap at the window.

It was Echo.

She got to her feet, walking over and opening the window, letting her owl fly in.

"I didn't realize I would've gotten a reply so early," She smiled, running her fingers down the soft brown feathers of Echo.

The owl hooted contently, nuzzling her palm and then perching on her bed. Amisty took a seat, opening the letter as she went.

She had just started to take out the piece of folded parchment when Hermione burst through the dormitory door.

"I'm going to teach you how to braid!" She announced cheerfully, barely giving the green-eyed girl more than a second to conceal the now opened envelope in her robes. "What's Echo doing in here?"

"She was at the window, if I didn't let her in I wouldn't be able to send a letter for a month," Amisty replied lightheartedly.

"Ah, yes. I had forgotten that your owl is as stubborn as you," Hermione joked, dropping down next to her.

Amisty rolled her eyes, waiting for the lesson to start.

Hermione got the message, pulling out two pieces of rope and holding one out to her. Amisty turned it over in her hand, now noticing it wasn't just one piece of rope, it was three strands tied together at the top in a tight knot.

"Cross this side over the middle, and then the other..." Hermione explained, demonstrating as she spoke.

Amisty watched, following the directions as best as she could manage. Within five minutes they both had braids, though Amisty's was far less neat than Hermione's.

"Congratulations, you now know how to braid," Hermione beamed, taking Amisty's rope and examining it.

"Thank you, this could come in handy one day," Amisty smiled back, getting down and opening her trunk.

Her Christmas gifts winked up at her, and she placed it next to Hermione's, the wolf ears.

"You're welcome," Hermione replied, leaning over the side of the bed and then pointing at the photo album. "What's that?"

Amisty felt her throat constrict slightly. She hadn't told anyone about the photo album, it had been too personal.

But Hermione deserved to know, and there was no use hiding it now.

"Madame Pomfrey gave it to me, it's a photo album... of my parents. She wanted me to take it so I could learn about them," She replied, relieved that her voice didn't shake.

"Would it be too much to ask for me to see?" Hermione asked gently, careful not to sound too demanding.

It was clear she knew it was a delicate subject.

"No, no, not at all. Here, I'll show you my favorite parts," She shook her head, taking it out, flipping it open and rifling through the pages.

Once she reached the one she wanted, she nudged it over for Hermione to see.

"That's my mother, Echo," She pointed at the black-haired woman, who was smiling brightly, "my father, Noel," Now she pointed at the tall blonde-haired man, who was looking lovingly up at her, "and me," She finished with her finger resting just below a bundle of pale yellow blankets, a tuft of dark hair peeking through.

"And them?" Hermione leaned forward, pointing at the strange brown haired woman Amisty hadn't quite recognized.

"I think she's a family friend, Madame Pomfrey hadn't mentioned her," She replied with a shrug, not realizing she was tracing the looping designs that decorated the spine of the album.