Moste Potente Potions: Year 2

Amisty was hurriedly writing out a reply to the letter in the early hours of the morning before anyone else in the common room woke.

Dear 'You',

I wasn't expecting to get a letter during the school year, though it's definitely welcome! My year so far has been eventful, and to be honest, I'm a little scared. But that's not important. How has your school year been so far? Other than the Chamber and all... I know that there are people who want to help me, I'm just not used to relying on others quite yet. I guess It's just another thing I'll have to learn. If I do end up remembering something, I'll tell you. I can't figure this out on my own. Thank you. (I still haven't gotten your name)

Until the next letter, Amisty

She nearly jumped out of her skin when Hermione rolled out of bed, rubbing the sleep from her ears.

Amisty hid the letter behind her back, kicking her quill and ink underneath her feet.

"Good morning," She smiled in what she hoped was an inconspicuous way, hoping the ink would dry quickly.

The faster it did the faster she could hide, and then send, the letter.

"You're up early. Bad dream?" Hermione asked, changing out of her pajamas into her school robes.

Amisty untangled herself from her covers, sliding the letter to the side and out of view.

Unfortunately, it hadn't dried entirely so she couldn't stash it under her pillow just yet.

She got to her feet, following Hermione's actions and tugging on her robes.

"No," She replied, thinking back to the strange apparition that had appeared a few nights prior as she tugged a brush through her hair. That was one thing she hadn't told anyone about. Yet. "Just finishing some things up before classes start."

"Did you manage to get it all done?" Hermione covered her mouth with her hand, stifling a yawn.

"Yep, all caught up," She smiled, nodding.

And then her smile faded as she realized her brush was caught on a tangle.

"Let me help you with that," Hermione laughed, pulling out her wand and casting a quick charm.

In a few seconds, her brush was lying back on the dresser and a section of her raven locks had been braided.

"I don't know how I was ever able to live without you," Amisty laughed, running her fingers down the neat braid in admiration.

She had never learned how to do it, and even though she preferred her hair down, she had always admired the elegant appearance the hairstyle had.

"I don't know either," Hermione joked, earning a sharp look from her friend.

In the end, however, they were both giggling.

"You need to teach me how to braid one day, but for now, let's go down for breakfast," Amisty commented, picking up her bag from the floor and in one fluid movement closing a textbook with the letter inside.

"You don't know how to braid?" Hermione gasped, shocked. "Of course I'll teach you!"

"Later, food awaits," She gave a dramatic look at the door of the dormitory, holding out her hand.

"You're as bad as Ron," Hermione rolled her eyes, letting herself be dragged by the green-eyed girl down the steps.

"I like to believe I'm even worse, actually," She shot back, grinning.