School Starts: Year 3

Harry dropped down from the carriage, going over to Amisty's other side and resting a hand on her shoulder.

She smiled wanly up at him, her eyes still shiny with tears.

"You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted," And Malfoy was back.

He shoved past Hermione and Amisty, paying her no attention as he went by.

"Shove off, Malfoy," Ron hissed his through clenched teeth, glaring at the blonde.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley? Did the scary old dementor frighten you too, Weasley?" He turned his taunts onto the redhead, eyes narrowed in challenge.

"Is there a problem?" A quiet, older voice asked politely, It was Professor Lupin, he had just gotten down from the passing carriage.

"Oh, no -- er -- Professor," He replied, a trace of sarcasm in his voice.

He smirked at Crabbe and Goyle before turning on his heel and swaggering up to the castle.

Amisty looked away as he passed, letting her hair cover her face so he couldn't see her. Hermione's grip tightened on her arm, a mix between a warning and reassurance.

She had calmed down now that there were no dementors close by and managed to get a few steps away from Hermione.

They joined the crowd around the steps, through the oak doors, and into the entrance hall with its massive marble staircase. Almost instantly the crowd started fighting to the Great Hall, and they were forced to move along with them.

They had just reached the entrance to the Great Hall when Professor McGonagall's voice carried over the sea of students.

"Potter! Granger! I want to see you both!" She called. The two friends turned around in surprise. "There's no need to look so worried -- I just want a word in my office. Move along there, Weasley."

"Amisty, go to dinner. I'll be back soon," Hermione whispered before leaving her side with Harry toward the professor.

She looked back over her shoulder as they were guided away from the crowd, and Amisty nodded. Her tears had stopped entirely, she felt better.

Ron and she traded glances and walked over to the Gryffindor table, saving seats for their two missing friends.

The sorting went on, as usual. Amisty wasn't paying very much attention, only cheering when she was needed. She kept glancing toward the entrance, waiting for Harry and Hermione to return. Once they did, quite a few people from all around the Hall were pointing and staring at Harry. Apparently, the news of his fainting had spread very quickly.

"What was that all about?" Ron whispered as they sat down. Hermione sent Amisty a concerned glance, to which she replied with a bright smile.

Back to normal.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." Professor Dumbledore cleared his throat,

"As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business,"

He paused, "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises -- or even Invisibility Cloaks,"