Crookshanks: Year 3/Summer

The inside of the store was very cramped, many cages lining the walls, all squeaking, squawking, meowing, hooting, and more.

Loud, cramped, and noisy.

Just amazing.

They couldn't approach the counter just yet, as there was already a customer there, so they spent their time exploring the store.

There were the usual pets there, toads, rabbits, cats, tortoises, snails, ravens rats. All in varying colors and even some seemed to have magical abilities, as one of the rabbits was changing between a pink top hot and a rabbit, and the rats were playing a skipping game with their tails.

There were magical creatures as well, a little furballs all clumped in a basket, all the color of caramel and humming, and something Amisty didn't quite know the name of was curled up in a cage, big blue eyes staring up at her as she passed.

Ron went up to the counter once the wizard left.

"It's my rat. He's been a bit off-color ever since I brought him back from Egypt," Ron explained.

"Bang him on the counter," The witch replied, putting on some spectacles as he placed Scabbers down. The cage of rats stopped playing, creeping closer to see Scabbers better. "Hm. How old is this rat?"

"Dunno. Quite old. He used to belong to my brother," Ron replied simply, shrugging.

"What powers does he have?" She asked, looking down at the dull grey rat in interest.

His ear was tattered and his front paw was missing a toe.

"Er -- " Ron didn't quite know how to reply, scratching the back of his neck.

"He's been through the mill, this one," Her voice was treading on the verge of scolding as he picked him up.

"He was like that when Percy gave him to me," Ron defended quickly, crossing his arms.

"An ordinary common or garden rat like this can't be expected to live longer than three years or so. Now, if you were looking for something a bit more hard-wearing, you might like one of these -- " She gestured to the cage of black rats, who immediately started their skipping game again.

"Show-offs," Ron muttered under his breath, his eyes dark.

"Well, if you don't want a replacement, you can try this rat tonic," She replied, pulling out a red bottle.

"Okay. How much -- OUCH!" He fell to the ground as a bright ginger cat barreled down from the cages and landed on his head before hissing as it leaped toward Scabbers.

"NO, CROOKSHANKS, NO!" The witch shouted, trying to grab him.

Scabbers shot out of her hands, racing toward the door.

"Scabbers!" Ron yelled, chasing after the rat.

Harry ran after him as Amisty and Hermione stayed behind. The witch had managed to grab the ginger cat, who was squirming and hissing furiously as it tried to follow the two boys.

"Could I hold him?" Hermione asked, her eyes wide and round as she stared at the cat.

"Be my guest, maybe you'll be able to calm him down," The witch sighed, handing him over.

Almost instantly Crookshanks stopped squirming and settled down quite comfortably, purring. Now that he was still, Amisty could take a better look at him.

His fur was fluffy and thick, knotted and matted in some areas, and he was bow legged with a grumpy expression.

Not the prettiest cat ever.