Dementors On The Pitch: Year 3

The first Quidditch match of the school year was drawing near. To all the Gryffindors frustration and anger, Slytherin had forfeited and they would be playing Hufflepuff instead.

Amisty didn't want to find out the reason why, but judging by the smug look on Malfoy's face as the weather grew worse and worse, she had a feeling he had used his 'injury' as an excuse again. The day before the match the weather had gotten so bad that teachers had to light extra candles so they could see in the dark corridors.

"Ah, if only my arm was feeling a bit better!" Malfoy sighed, unfortunately saying it as Amisty was passing by.

She stepped on his foot rather harshly as she passed, her mouth curling up into a smile as he yelped.

They were headed down to Defense Against the Dark Arts. It was a shock when she walked in and it was Professor Snape behind the desk.

She took a seat beside Ron and Hermione, Harry had been held up with Oliver Wood. Snape started talking almost instantly, the class silent and confused as he explained Professor Lupin's absence.

Ten minutes late, Harry burst in looking very disheveled.

"Sorry I'm late, Professor Lupin, I -- " He started before cutting off as he noticed Professor Snape.

"This lesson began ten minutes ago, Potter, so I think we'll make it ten points from Gryffindor. Sit down," Snape looked over at him, his voice silky.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Harry asked sharply, not moving from the doorway.

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today. I believe I told you to sit down?" He replied, sneering.

"What's wrong with him?" Harry asked, once again not moving away from the doorway.

"Nothing life-threatening. Five more points from Gryffindor, and if I have to ask you to sit down again, it will be fifty," Snape's eyes were gleaming.

Harry walked toward them slowly, taking his seat.

"As I was saying before Potter interrupted, Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far -- " He started up once more.

"Please, sir, we've done boggarts, Red Caps, kappas, and grindylows, and we're just about to start -- " Hermione explained quickly.

"Be quiet. I did not ask for information. I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organization," Snape cut her off coldly.

"He's the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had," Dean announced loudly, getting a few soft murmurs of agreement from the rest of the class.

Snape looked murderous.

"You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly overtaxing you -- I would expect first years to be able to deal with Red Caps and grindylows. Today we shall discuss -- " He flipped through the textbook lying open in front of him, turning all the way to the back to where they had never even gotten close to reading. " -- werewolves."

"But, sir, we're not supposed to do werewolves yet, we're due to start hinkypunks -- " Hermione protested.

"Miss Granger, I was under the impression that I am teaching this lesson, not you. And I am telling you all to turn to page 394. All of you! Now!" Snape ordered, his eyes narrowed.

Amisty opened her textbook, whispering quite a few colorful words under her breath.

"Which of you can tell me how we distinguish the difference between the werewolf and the true wolf?" Snape asked, his voice frigid.