Who Is She?: Year 2

Amisty desperately tried to push the taunting voice to the back of her mind, to no avail.

It repeated over and over in her head, echoing. She reached her friends, placing a reassuring hand on Ron's back before stepping out of Harry and Hermione's way.

Hagrid's house was only a few steps away before the door opened, revealing a slightly disgruntled Gilderoy Lockhart.

"Quick, behind here!" Harry whispered urgently after spotting the Professor, tugging Ron behind a bush.

Amisty, noticing Hermione's reluctant expression, grabbed her arm and dragged her along.

"It's a simple matter if you know what you're doing! If you need help, you know where I am! I'll let you have a copy of my book. I'm surprised you haven't already got one -- I'll sign one tonight and send it over. Well, goodbye!" He raised his hand in farewell before strutting away toward the castle.

They waited there for him to cross the field, then at Harry's signal, pulled Ron up to Hagrid's cabin.

Amisty rapped on the heavy, oak door, tapping her foot impatiently. He opened it in an instant, a irritable expression on his face that quickly melted into a happy one at the sight of them.

"Bin' wonderin' when you'd come ter see me -- come in, come in -- thought you mighta bin Professor Lockhart back again --" He waved them inside.

Harry and Hermione helped Ron to a chair. Harry explained what was happening quickly, to which Hagrid didn't look the slightest bit worried.

That must mean it wasn't that bad of a curse.

"Better out than in. Get 'em all up, Ron," He dropped a copper bucket in front of the redhead, patting him on the back.

"I don't think there's anything to do except wait for it to stop. That's a difficult curse to work at the best of times, but with a broken wand -- " Hermione rambled, her fingers fidgeting.

Amisty gave her a reassuring hug before helping Hagrid in his mission to make them tea.

Fang gave her a quick tap on the hand with his wet nose, then padded over to where Harry was sitting.

"What did Lockhart want with you, Hagrid?" Harry asked, petting Fang behind the ears.

The boarhound's tail wagged wildly.

"Given' me advice on gettin' kelpies out of a well. Like I don' know. An' bangin' on about some banshee he banished. If one word of it was true, I'll eat my kettle," Hagrid replied sourly, placing the teapot he was holding on the table.

"I think you're being a bit unfair. Professor Dumbledore obviously thought he was the best man for the job -- " Hermione began defensively.

"He was the on'y  man for the job. A'n I mean the on'y one. Gettin' very difficult ter find anyone fer the Dark Arts job. People aren't too keen ter take it on, see. They're startin' ter think it's jinxed. No one's lasted long fer a while now," Hagrid interrupted, pointing with his chin to Ron, who was leaning over the bucket, as he held out a tray of treacle toffee. "So tell me. Who was he tryin' ter curse?"

Amisty looked over to Harry, knowing she wouldn't be able to explain without a stream of colorful words leaving her mouth, as she took a piece of the sweet and placed it in her mouth.

"Malfoy called Hermione something -- it must've been really bad, because everyone went wild," He got the hint.

"It was bad. Malfoy called her 'Mudblood,' Hagrid," Ron piped up, his voice scratchy, before bending over the bucket yet again as more slugs escaped.