Cabin Seventeen: Year 3

The common room was buzzing with life, everyone crowded around the notice board.

Amisty slipped through it, her height is useful in this case and looked up at the new paper. Once she read it, she felt her mouth tug down in a frown.

It was the first Hogsmeade weekend, on Halloween.

She moved away, heading back to Ron and Hermione, who were starting their work on star charts for their Astronomy class.

"It's the first Hogsmeade visit, Halloween," She told them as she took a seat on the floor by Hermione, opening her textbook.

"We'll bring you plenty of treats and stuff from there, Amisty, we promise," Hermione reassured, patting her shoulder.

Just then, the Gryffindor Quidditch team crawled through the portrait hall, all looking very cold.

Harry walked toward them, rubbing his arms.

"What's happened?" He asked as he got closer.

"First Hogsmeade weekend. End of October. Halloween," Ron replied, pointing at the notice board.

"Excellent. I need to visit Zonko's. I'm nearly out of Stink Pellets," Fred grinned.

Harry took a seat by Ron, looking disheartened.

"Harry, I'm sure you'll be able to go next time. They're bound to catch Black soon. He's been sighted once already," Hermione piped up.

"Black's not fool enough to try anything in Hogsmeade. Ask McGonagall if you can go this time, both of you," He looked over at Amisty, "The next one might not be for ages -- "

"Ron! Harry's supposed to stay in school -- " Hermione protested.

"They can't be the only third years left behind. Ask McGonagall, go on -- " Ron urged.

"Yeah, I think I will," Harry nodded, his jaw set.

"Amisty?" Ron raised an eyebrow.

"I can try," She decided. Hermione was about to argue when Crookshanks leaped lightly onto her lap, a dead spider in his mouth.

"Does he have to eat that in front of us?" Ron asked bitterly, throwing a hateful glance at the cat.

"Clever Crookshanks, did you catch that all by yourself?" Hermione praised, stroking him lovingly.

Crookshanks ate the spider slowly, his eyes fixated on Ron almost mockingly.

"Just keep him over there, that's all. I've got Scabbers asleep in my bag," Ron groaned, working on his star chart once more.

Amisty glanced over at Harry, who was yawning as he pulled out his supplies to work on his own star chart.

"You can copy mine, if you like," Ron finished the last of his work and slid the paper over to Harry. Hermione didn't look pleased.

There was quiet for a bit until Amisty leaped out of the way as Crookshanks sprang for Ron's bag.

"OY! GET OFF, YOU STUPID ANIMAL!" Ron shouted, grabbing his bag and trying to drag it away. Crookshanks didn't budge, clawing at the bag ferociously.

"Ron, don't hurt him!" Hermione squeaked, watching with wide eyes as Ron swung the bag wildly, Scabbers flying out the top.

"CATCH THAT CAT!" Ron roared as Crookshanks retracted himself from the bag and raced after Scabbers.

George reached out to him but he missed, falling to the floor with a thump.

Scabbers weaved through several pairs of legs and under an old chest. Crookshanks stopped just outside it, clawing at the crack between the chest and the floor furiously.