Control: Year 4

Fudge stiffened as if he had been insulted by Dumbledore rather than talked to calmly, "Now, see here, Dumbledore. I've given you free reign, always. I've had a lot of respect for you. I might not have agreed with some of your decisions, but I've kept quiet. There aren't many who'd have let you hire werewolves, or keep Hagrid, or decide what to teach your students without reference to the Ministry. But if you're going to work against me -- "

"The only one against whom I intend to work is Lord Voldemort," Dumbledore replied with such bitter coldness Amisty was surprised his words didn't solidify into ice. "If you are against him, then we remain, Cornelius, on the same side."

Fudge was silent for a moment, fiddling with the bowler cap in his hands nervously, "He can't be back, Dumbledore, he just can't be..."

Suddenly, Snape walked forward, his face very grim as he rolled up the sleeve of his left arm.

"There," He snarled, dark eyes narrowed.

"There. The Dark Mark. It is not as clear as it was an hour or so ago, when it burned black, but you can still see it. Every Death Eater had the sign burned into him by the Dark Lord. It was a means of distinguishing one another, and his means of summoning us to him. When he touched the Mark of any Death Eater, we were to Disapparate, and Apparate, instantly, at his side. This Mark has been growing clearer all year. Karkaroff's too. Why do you think Karkaroff fled tonight? We both felt the Mark burn. We both knew he had returned. Karkaroff fears the Dark Lord's vengeance. He betrayed too many of his fellow Death Eaters to be sure of a welcome back into the fold."

Fudge was shaking his head furiously, stepping back from Snape before turning back to Dumbledore, barely whispering, "I don't know what you and your staff are playing at, Dumbledore, but I have heard enough. I have no more to add. I will be in touch with you tomorrow, Dumbledore, to discuss the running of this school. I must return to the Ministry."

He headed off to the door, paused, and then returned to Harry's bed, dropping a bag of gold on the table, "Your winnings. One thousand Galleons. There should have been a presentation ceremony, but under the circumstances..."

And he left for real, the door slamming behind him.

"There is work to be done. Molly... am I right in thinking that I can count on you and Arthur?" Dumbledore asked, turning to face the silent group.

"Of course you can. We know what Fudge is. It's Arthur's fondness for Muggles that has held him back at the Ministry all these years. Fudge thinks he lacks proper Wizarding Pride," Mrs. Weasley replied, pale but a stubborn glint in her eyes.

"Then I need to send a message to Arthur. All those that we can persuade of the truth must be notified immediately, and he is well placed to contact those at the Ministry who are not as short-sighted as Cornelius."

Amisty heard the faintest trace of bitterness in Professor Dumbledore's tone.

"I'll go to Dad. I'll go now," Bill stood, jaw set.

"Excellent. Tell him what has happened. Tell him I will be in direct contact with him shortly. He will need to be discreet, however. If Fudge thinks I am interfering at the Ministry -- " Dumbledore nodded.

"Leave it to me," Bill smiled faintly, patting Harry's shoulder, kissing his mother's cheek, and leaving the room quickly.

"Minerva, I want to see Hagrid in my office as soon as possible. Also -- if she will consent to come -- Madame Maxime," Dumbledore turned back to the Professor.

She nodded and left as well.

"Poppy, would you be very kind and go down to Professor Moody's office, where I think you will find a house-elf called Winky in considerable distress? Do what you can for her, and take her back to the kitchens. I think Dobby will look after her for us."