Important Issue: Year 1

The exams finally came, and Amisty was dying.

Figuratively, of course.

The room that they took the written exams in was boiling, and Amisty's ears picked up the every little scratch of the enchanted quills on the parchment.

It was incredibly annoying.

Do you know that sound of metal screeching against metal? Yeah, imagine that, but a room full of people doing it.

Halfway through, her head was twitching slightly at every noise.

Thankfully, Professor McGonagall saw her discomfort and quickly casted a spell. Soon enough Amisty was able to focus properly on her test, almost.

Her practical exams went much better, even though they were nerve wracking. She managed to charm the pineapple across the desk on her first try, and though the snuffbox she had transfigured was simple with only a few carved lines, it passed.

Potions... That was interesting.

Snape seemed to be watching her like a hawk, staring her down as she calmly, as calm as she could be at least, made her Forgetfulness potion.

It went well, but she was pretty certain she would get points off for pausing her cutting to glare at him.

Oh well.

Her sleep was relatively normal for once, with her occasionally waking up in the middle of the night. It wasn't a nightmare that plagued her sleep though, rather her mind refused to shut down properly.

The hours she spent awake was worth it though.

She managed to poor over the book she had hidden under her bed in the bright silver moonlight that spilled from the window.

It became a hobby of hers, and soon she was wondering how she stayed asleep entire nights in the first place. But it was taking a toll on her body.

Her movements were sluggish and uncalculated, and her quick tongue had disappeared. Instead she would sit quietly, hiding her yawns behind her hand and pondering the contents of the book. It was getting to the point of noticeability, and Hermione was the first to realize her friends condition.

"Amisty, why are there purple circles underneath your eyes? I know for a fact that you haven't been getting in any scuffles with that Malfoy git, and I know you wouldn't let him land a single hit on you, so they aren't black eyes. Spill it," She demanded one evening as the two sat in the common room studying for their Defence Against The Dark Arts final.

Amisty jolted up, failing miserably to look the slightest bit more awake and alert.

Her wand went clattering to the floor, and she picked it up hastily, embarrassment turning her ears red.

"I have absolutely no idea what you're on about." She objected, stifling a yawn with her hand.

"You're exhausted, Amisty. There's no way it's only exams," Hermione crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow and starring the black-haired girl down.

"Fine." Amisty sighed, her head dropping in defeat, "I've been staying up all night studying, simple as that."

"Lies. You don't get eye bags that big from staying up late for one night." She argued, brown eyes narrowed.

"Well I've been staying up late for a week... or three..." Amisty's voice trailed off guiltily, and she fiddled with her hands.

"Amisty! That in no way is good for your health! Especially with all these exams! Three weeks!" Hermione exclaimed, shaking her friend's shoulders violently.